Drama in Mexico (Race 2)

It is the day after the first race in Puebla and for some weird reason, I have decided to wake up early. There is just one tiny problem. The problem is, that Nyck is fast asleep with his arms wrapped around me. I get to work on nudging him awake. I notice his eyes opening. He releases a groan as he reluctantly lets me go. I check the time via my phone to see how early I woke up. It turns up that I woke up an hour and a half before I really had to. I am quick to change out of my pyjamas and into some fresh underwear and workout leggings. I check the label of one of the team shirts to make sure it is mine. If you are wondering, I am a couple of sizes bigger than Nyck. I slip the top over my body. Now that I am changed I have decided to go for a run to kill time. I let Nyck know as I left with my phone in my hand. Something tells me that he will sleep in. I am quick to find my running playlist. With that sorted, I set off. I let my thoughts wander. For some reason, I start to think about the possibility of more drama. I hope not as I was really out of it yesterday after the race finished. Nyck even called me out on it. After an hour of running, I made it back to the hotel room where Nyck and I are staying. I find him in the kitchen putting breakfast together.

"Morning," Nyck greets me.

"Hey, Nyck. I'm sorry about waking you up early," for some reason I find myself apologising.

"Don't worry about it. Anyway, where were you?" He replies as he places the bowl of cereal and yoghurt in front of me. It is the typical race car driver breakfast.

"I told you that I was going for a run to clear my head but you were half asleep when I told you," I retorted. It looks like something has clicked in his brain.

"Did it work?" Nyck asks.

"To be honest, not really. I'm overthinking the race again," I admit. There is no point in hiding my worries. Nyck knows me too well for me to be a good liar. I shove a spoonful of cereal into my mouth so that I don't have to talk about it. Yes, I know. I should talk about it but I am worried that if I do I will jinx the race for me and I don't want to do that. I need some good points. Thankfully Nyck is smart enough not to push for information. After an hour and a half of getting ready the time has come for us to head to the circuit. I am not surprised to find it crowded with fans. Even the garages are hives of activity. Nyck and I soon part ways so that we can get ready for the day. It doesn't take long for me to get to my driver's room where I quickly change into my race suit. There is a knock on my door. There are only two people that will want my attention.

"Come in," I say as Molly, my trainer enters the small room.

"Are you ready for the warm-ups?" She asks.

"Yup," I responded as I joined her outside. I am not really looking forward to it as I asked her to go hard on me since I was exhausted more than usual after the first race. Molly is quick to walk me through what we are going to do. After twenty minutes of work, I am let go.

"Thank you, Molly," I say.

"Don't worry about it," She responds as she sends me off with a good luck pat on the shoulder. After a quick walk, I made it back to the garage. I realise that I have a nasty feeling in regards to the race. I will see if it is justified when I talk to Kai. Speaking of Kai he approaches me with a look of apprehension. It doesn't take him long to explain the situation. Based on the way that he is talking, my weekend has gone from bad to worse. To be honest it is out of my control.

"Look Kai we will see what the car is like after free practice," I say. Yes I know it is near impossible to reassure Kai but I am going to try.

"Ok. Just don't worry if you have to retire early," Kai replies. It won't be his fault if something annoys me during the free practice session. It will be Robin's as he was the one that crashed into me. I will have to see what happens to the car after the free practice session. With that out of the way, I turn my attention to getting ready. As per usual I am quick to get my helmet and balaclava on. Now for Kristy's turn at telling me the bad news. Thankfully she is optimistic about the whole situation. It's a breath of fresh air compared to Kai's doom and gloom. With some help, I get comfortable in the car. After a minute-long wait that feels like forever Kristy gestures for me to leave. It doesn't take long for me to get back into the rhythm. Be careful down into turn one. Watch out for the grass and last of all try my best to carry enough speed around turn fifteen. That checklist is the only thing that is going through my head. Yesterday proved that this tack isn't for fools. As I go to change a few things on the steering wheel my attention is caught by an unfamiliar warning.