Welcome to New York (Race 1)

"Crap," I can only get one word out before I am hit by full-blown concern. The sight of the wreckage is beyond terrifying. Words can't even describe how shocked I feel now.

I jolt awake from another nightmare. This time it was the accident that claimed my brother's life, however, I was watching on as one of the martials. As with so many of my nightmares, it felt so real. I find myself glancing at Nyck who is fast asleep as usual. His facial features are relaxed. It is an almost perfect contrast to how I feel. Luckily for me, there is something relaxing about being in his grasp. However, the moment doesn't last long as both our alarms go off.

"Come on sleepyhead," I say as I get to work on nudging Nyck awake. He reluctantly lets go.

"I'm awake," Nyck remarks as he stretches. Now that we are both awake it doesn't take long for us to get ready. For some reason, I am feeling a little apprehensive. I put it down to a combination of two things. One, today is the media day or rather the media morning and second of all, I have had nightmares. They are never a good sign. Oh well, I just need to get through the media morning then I can do what I came to New York to do. Race. It has been a few hours since Nyck and I woke up and I am currently getting ready for the main press conference however my apprehension has only gotten worse. I put it down to the fact that I am being interviewed with Mitch and Edo. My main rivals in the championship. I find myself fidgeting as I wait for our turn in the press conference. This is the first time that I have been truly nervous about a press conference. Come on Jess. The questions are going to be easy to answer. My negative thoughts soon run rampant.

"Jess are you alright?" Mitch decides to check on me. I open my mouth to explain what is going on but the words catch in my throat. Instead, I shake my head. Mitch gets to work on trying to help me however his efforts are in vain as one of the few people that can help me is finishing up with his press conference slot.

"Excuse me," Nyck excuses himself as he glances over in my direction. Thankfully it doesn't take him long to reach me. Mitch is quick to fill him in.

"Thank you for letting me know. Jess look at me. It's going to be alright," Nyck says. He soon launches into a barrage of comforting statements. Thankfully Nyck is quick to get me down to earth. The only issue is how long is it going to last. Thankfully the press conference flies by. Before you can ask I am still on edge but I am definitely feeling better than I was before the press conference. It doesn't take long for me to make it to my driver's room where I am met by Nyck.

"What's wrong?" I tentatively ask.

"I came to check you somewhere private," Nyck says as he opens his arms for a hug.

"I'm all good, I promise. I just had a nightmare. That's all," I reply as I accept his hug. I find myself lost in his warmth. I really want to tell him about my nightmare however I am unable. For some reason my mouth refuses.

"Anyway, we have a free practice session to get ready for," Nyck says. He leaves me with a little peck on the cheek. Honestly, I don't know what I would have done without Nyck. With Nyck gone I exchanged my street clothes for my race suit. I'll be fine so long as I don't have a panic attack in the car. After fifteen minutes of warming up with Molly, I find myself in the garage getting a brief from Kai. He seems adamant that I need to take it easy after the disaster that was Mexico. The thing is I need to practice like I am racing as I need the points that will come later.

"Kai you have little faith in Kristy and her team," I cut him off. The thing is Kai worries too much. I understand why as we are at the pointy end of the season.

"No, it's not that. Kristy and her team have done a wonderful job. I just want you to win the championship," He responds. I find myself giggling as he reminds me of Jules. In fact, I reckon that they would be good friends.