A promise

It has been a week since I helped Erin and to my pleasure, it has been quiet. Sure I have had things to do like my training. Which is proving to be interesting since Nyck has decided to join me. It is due to the fact that we are very competitive. Even the sim work was fun due to our competitive nature. Anyway, today is going to be interesting as the royal family are holding their annual charity ball. The thing is I have normally found some excuse not to go. Whether it be racing or an exaggerated sickness I just haven't been bothered to go. I have never understood the reason behind the charity ball. I guess that I have never exposed myself to something like it. This time Nyck has convinced me to go. He even promised to help me with dress shopping if I need it. Right now I am rummaging through my wardrobe. I am looking for something other than the black dress I wore to last year's FIA gala. The reason why I am not keen on the black dress is that I feel like something with a bit of colour would be better. I can feel Nyck's watchful gaze as I come to the realisation that I am going to have to go dress shopping. Oh well. Just another excuse to go out with Nyck. The thought brings a smile to my face as I close the wardrobe door.

"So are we going dress shopping? Nyck asks.

"Unfortunately yes but I was thinking we could make a date out of it," I explained. Nyck seems satisfied with my response. As a resident, I know some good cafes around Monaco.

"We can do that," He confirms. My suggestion has an added bonus. It will give Nyck something to look forward to. With that, I grab a few things that will be useful for dress shopping. Like me, Nyck is quick to get ready.

"Ok. Let's go," I remark as we leave. After a short walk through Monaco, we have made it to the boutique that I want to start with. My eyes are drawn to a nice emerald dress. It looks simple yet elegant which will suit me perfectly. Now for the hard part.

"Nyck what do you think?" I ask tentatively as I show him the dress. Unlike me, he is out of his element. Which is something that I can understand. To be honest I was going to try it on regardless of what Nyck has to say.

"I think you should try it on," Nyck replies. Like I said before I was going to try it on regardless of what he said. However, now I have permission. With that, I head into the change room. Thankfully I am able to quickly exchange my outer layer of clothes for the dress. I use the mirror to make up my mind. The simple yet elegant design fits my body nicely. The colour even suits me which I was a little sceptical of before I tried it on. I tentatively leave the change room to show Nyck.

"What do you think?" I ask, announcing my presence. I can tell that he is gobsmacked by my first choice.

"Much better," He replies. After an hour of trying various dresses, I have decided to go with the emerald dress as it is the one that I feel the most comfortable in. I'm just glad that Nyck and I weren't interrupted. After dropping the dress off back at my apartment we head out to one of my favourite cafes in Monaco. I notice that Mitch Evans and Edo Mortara have the same idea. To be honest I'll see them tonight so I'm not going to say hello unless they join us. For some bizarre reason, my apprehension about tonight has flared up again. Thankfully Nyck and I are quick to order.

"Are you alright Jess?" Nyck decides to check on me.

"Yeah. I'm still a little apprehensive about tonight. I don't know what to expect," I responded. It is due to the fact that I have always had some excuse not to go.

"I'm sure you'll be fine. Think of it as another FIA gala," Nyck retorts. Yeah, one with actual royalty. Don't get me wrong, Nyck is right. It is just another event that I have to attend but still. I am worried that I will do something embarrassing in front of the royal family. I inwardly giggle at the thought. Thankfully the food is quick to arrive. Nyck and I soon settle into idle chit chat while we nibble on the food. After an hour of socialising, we have finally finished at the cafe. Now for the interesting part of the day. Since I only know how to do basic make-up I reached out to Charles' mum for some help to do more. Nyck and I walk hand in hand back to my apartment so I can fetch a few things before leaving.