Gaining ground in London (Race 1)

It has been a few days since then and I am preparing for what could be an interesting weekend. The reason. Well, it is complicated. The London E-Prix will be an indoor to outdoor race. The biggest challenge that we discovered on the track walk was the fact that the various surface changes will wear the tires faster. It may be worse than Puebla and that is saying something. The good thing is I will have help if I need it. Even with the challenges, I am looking forward to actually driving. Right now I am getting through the last media commitment before FP1 This time it shouldn't be a drag.

"This is a question for all of the drivers. How do you feel about the challenges that this track provides?"  A reporter asks. Antonio, Jean-Eric and Nyck glance at me. That is my cue to start.

"I feel confident that the team and I will be able to find some workarounds for any of the issues that we may face. Plus I think that the concept of an indoors/outdoors race will be interesting," I kick start the answering. It doesn't take long for the others to answer. After what feels like an eternity the press conference has come to an end. Now I can do what I came here to do. Drive. It doesn't take long for me to make it to my driver's room where I exchange my casual clothes for my fireproofs and race suit. After thirty minutes of various bits of preparation, the time has come for the first free practice session. The excitement of trying something new takes over. It feels weird being excited for a race as it is something that hasn't happened in a while.

"Someone seems happy," Nyck remarks as he joins me on my way to the garage.

"Well, I am finally excited for a race," I retort. Ok, sure I will have to curb my enthusiasm as I still have to get through the free practice and qualifying sessions but still. It will be something different. After a brief conversation, we part ways as we reach the garage. It doesn't take long for me to reach the car. Now for the report from Kai.

"Jess things are going to be trickier than we thought," Kai announces as he joins me.

"What do you mean?" I ask. Whatever Kai has to say is not good. He glances at me with a concerned look.

"You are going to have to be extra careful coming in and out of the Excel. The track is wet," Kai hits me with the news that I really didn't want to hear. Don't get me wrong I had a feeling that we were not going to have much luck with the weather. It's just a pain to have to adjust to the new conditions. So long as I don't make mistakes I will be fine.

"Thank you for letting me know," I responded as I pulled my balaclava over my head. Even with Kai's news, I am still excited about the event. With a couple of swift movements, I have my helmet on. After a couple of minutes, the time has come for the first free practice session to start. With a nod from Kai Kristy sends me out. The first thing I notice is how grippy the car is considering that the surface is not normally used as a race track. I am quick to encounter the problem which is the weather. As soon as I cross the threshold the grip lets go. I react quick enough for it not to be a problem. At least I had Kai's warning. After a few laps of getting comfortable the time has come for me to test the limits of the car.

"Can you let me know if there are any issues? I am going to see how far I can push the car," I radio my intentions to Kai.

"Of course," Kai responds. It doesn't take long for me to start pushing. Well, I say pushing however I am spending more time sliding. Still, it is not as bad as the conditions that we had in Valencia. After thirty more minutes of trying to keep the car out of the barrier, the first free practice session has come to an end. I am quick to rescue myself from the car. After an hour of work, the time has come for us to leave. It doesn't take long for me to intercept Nyck.

"Do you want to grab a bite to eat?" Nyck checks on me.

"Do you mind if we get take out? I want to relax tonight. I feel like tomorrow is going to be a long day," I responded. Especially if it is going to be like today.