Guilty

An extremely shaken Ranboo speed walked through the hallways of the Dauntless. On his way to the temporary quarters that Commander George had set up for both Ranboo and Tubbo, he saw a crewman curled up in a ball, crying. The overall morale of the fleet was low, but this showed just how low it had gotten.

Sure, crew members often cried in their quarters after a battle that took so many lives, but nobody dared cry in the hallways.

Concerned, Ranboo walked over to the crewman and knelt down to his level.

"Hey, are you okay?" Ranboo asked softly despite knowing full well what the answer would be.

The crewman shook his head no, his face still buried in his hands as he sobbed.

Ranboo sat down next to the crewman.

"D-did you uhh... you know, lose somebody?" Ranboo asked, unsure on how to approach the situation.

The crewman nodded his head and finally took his face out of his hands. As soon as he did so, his eyes widened and fixed on the rear admiral's rank insignia on his uniform.

"Oh! Uhh I-... um I'm so sorry sir, I just..." The crewman tried to stand to attention but Ranboo stopped him.

"Hey, its okay..."Ranboo slowly took off the rear admiral rank insignia and put it in his pocket.

"I'm not here as your commanding officer, I'm just here as someone who wants to help, understand?" Ranboo spoke softly.

"Y-yes sir." The crewman said.

Ranboo looked down at the crewman's chest. The writing on it said that this crewman was part of the FNS Enderman crew and that his name was Miller.

"Ok, Miller, I just want you to tell me what is bothering you. I want you to speak freely without any fear of punishment. I won't punish or hurt you, I promise." Ranboo said, putting his hand on Miller's shoulder to comfort him.

"You promise?" Miller asked, his eyes filled with uncertainty.

Ranboo smiled and took his hand off of Miller's shoulder, "You can say anything. You can say, 'fuck you admiral, I hate you,' and I won't punish you or anything. I promise.

Seeming to regain some of his confidence, Miller sat up straighter and looked at Ranboo dead in the eyes.

"I am a crewman on the flight deck of the starboard flight pod on the Enderman. My best friend, Daniel has the same position as me but on the port flight pod. I grew up with him and we joined the navy together to help pay for our education, b-but he won't get an education now, because..." Miller's voice broke at the last word.

"Because he's dead," Miller stammered out.

Tears began to fall from his eyes.

"M- My older sister, Major Anastasia Miller was aboard the Thysia. There were no survivors from that ship. She- she was the responsible sibling, she was my role model and now... now she's just gone," Miller burst into tears.

"Whoever ordered this attack made a grave mistake," Miller said before burying his face in his hands again.

All of Ranboo's regret and guilt came crashing down on him with that one phrase. Tears also began to fall from Ranboo's eyes.

Miller looked up at the admiral, "Did you lose someone too?"

Ranboo just nodded and shut his eyes.

Suddenly, Ranboo felt someone's arms around him. He opened his eyes to see a sobbing Miller hugging him. Ranboo knew how he felt. He knew what it was like to lose everyone. He hugged Miller back and squeezed him tightly.