17

To your surprise, it was Gwen who made your problem a lot easier.

She looked back at Peter before looking directly at you.

She mumbled something under her breath and Peter told her to repeat it.

"I said, you probably should." Gwen yells, the wind whipping through her hair and hiding most of the sound.

"What do you mean?" Peter says, gently running his hand across her face, "I'm not going to leave you."

You were suddenly aware that time was ticking, who knows when this portal would close? Or if it already had?

You try to hide your negative thoughts and focus on the conversation.

"I'm basically saying that you're Spider-Man," Gwen says staring up into his eyes, "It's your responsibility, like your uncle said."

"With great power comes great responsibility," You mumble, remembering the famous quote that spanned across the multiverse and was a part of every Spider-Man's life.

"Yes that's it." Gwen says, looking at you and smiling before turning back to her boyfriend, "Now go on."

She gave Peter a quick kiss on the cheek as he stumbled through his words.

"You don't understand I ha-"

"I understand better than anyone Peter." Gwen says soothingly.

"I actually have an idea that could help the two of you." You break the romantic feel to the conversation, "But we have little time, I'll explain when we get there."

The two looked pretty confused.

"Come with me," You say as you ran to the side of the roof, "Hurry!"

They quickly gathered themselves and jumped off the building after you.

Peter clung onto his love like she was a magnet, pulling each other together.

However Gwen looked terrified with her arms wrapped tightly around Peter's neck, still not used to web travelling just yet.

You smile at the two, glad that you helped keep the romance alive.

The three of you skid to a halt at the crime scene that you fought in yesterday.

Your eyes scan across the rubble like your life depended on it. Technically it did.

"What's going on?" Gwen asks when she sees you randomly spring behind a lorry.

"Ned?" You sigh, relieved to see a portal even if it was quite small now.

"Y/n! I thought you'd ditched!" Ned says, glancing behind you at the two lovers, "I'm guessing that's MJ."

"Gwen actually." You correct, "Can she come along?"

Ned thought for a minute before realising that the portal was still shrinking and he didn't have time to contemplate the decision fully.

"Just bring her along," Ned says, stepping away from the portal entrance and giving you all some space to come through, "Quickly."

The three of you pile into the portal but only Gwen stops for a second to get her last glimpse of the world before she left.

"Missing it already?" You ask, holding a hand out the now very thin portal for her.

"Nah, Manhattans a shithole anyways." Gwen answers, grasping your hand and piling through the inter-dimensional gate.

You both share a smile just as the portal closed, leaving universe #2987 hopefully for a long time.