thirty-five.

the jacket

the jacket

~~~~~

Stefan sighed, running a hand over his face. He then looked back at his brother. "So you think Samantha Gilbert is still alive, running around Mystic Falls, killing founders?" Stefan questioned, not believing the theory at all.

Damon shook his head, "It's not possible, if she became a vampire, we'd know about it, right?"

"Then she must have had a ring that brought her back to life, I mean she was a Gilbert, right? Those rings were passed on for generations." Stefan proposed. To him, it was the only option that made sense. After all, who else would be killing the founders?

Definitely not Alaric...

"Yeah, but even if she had a ring, she shouldn't be alive today. It doesn't protect her from old age, does it?" Damon was determined to find a different solution to the problem at hand. He refused to believe that his best friend and drinking buddy was the one who was committing all the acts against the townspeople. He also didn't want Elliot to be right, which more he thought of it, she probably was.

"Jonathan Gilbert only made two of those rings. Jeremy has one of those and the other's..." Stefan trailed off as a look of realization crossed his normally cocky features.

'Well, that's easy...of course Alaric is the killer.'

Elliot's words rang through Damon's head as he began to piece everything together. Oh, how he hated that the spunky, little brunette was right.

"...Alaric."

~~~~~

In a different part of the time, three others were having a similar conversation to the one that was taking place with the two Salvatore brothers.Alaric and Meredith were discussing the same case and unbeknownst to them, Elena was listening into what they were saying from the doorway.

"Like the Sheriff said, the victims were killed with your weapons." Meredith told her friend, almost more than friend, as they were both looking through the case file folders.

Alaric sighed, not believing the words that seemed like an accusation, "Yeah, but I was attacked."

"With your own knife. A wound that could have been self-inflicted."

'It's the most common killer tactic: make yourself the victim so it throws off whoever is on your trail.' Elliot's theory for the win once more.

"It's impossible!!" Alaric exclaimed. "I would know if I was killing people!!"

'There is something altering the way he thinks, making him hurt others. I would even stretch it enough to say that there is something supernatural going on. Maybe something to do with magic.'