forty-five.

the Big Easy

the Big Easy

~~~~~

"Natasha," Elliot greeted her best friend.

Elliot was at a rest stop, leaning against a pay phone with the phone held against her ear. It was pitch black, being in the middle of nowhere not helping that situation. She was constantly scanning the area to see if anyone was around her, her usual paranoia settling in.

"Who is this?"

"Ouch," Elliot chuckled, "And here I thought you would recognize the voice of your best friend."

"Elliot?" Natasha exclaimed. "Where have you been? Everyone has been worried sick about you!"

Elliot pulled the phone away from her ear as her friend yelled. The loud sound made her already terrible headache worse. Once she heard the line was silent, she put it back against her ear. "I sent a message saying I was fine," She shrugged, even though Natasha couldn't see her.

"You also said not to look for you, which is suspicious as hell, Elliot! You can't say something like that and then ditch your phone! Bucky is worried sick about you and so am I!"

Elliot groaned from the loud noises, "Can we quit it with the yelling please?" She mumbled. Her tone came out more sarcastic than she wanted it to.

"I won't quit until you tell me where you are!" Natasha snapped back at her friend.

The brunette sighed, "I can't tell you that," Elliot bit her lip as guilt began to settle in the pit of her stomach, "I just—I can't be around anybody I care about right now."

"And why the hell not?"

"I'll end up hurting one of you. I don't have control anymore," Elliot sighed, closing her eyes, "And if I hurt one of you, I couldn't live with myself..." A tear slipped from her eye but she brushed it away.

"Ell—"

Natasha was never given a chance to respond before the time on the payphone ran out and all each women could hear was the dial tone.

Elliot stared at the place where she could insert more coins to have more time. She debated whether she should do so but quickly decided against it. Instead, she slammed the phone back into the holding slot with a defeated sigh. She then leaned against the payphone, contemplating what she should do next.

With her original plan down the drain, she didn't know what her other options were. Seeing as she couldn't be around the people she cared about, she decided that the best thing for everybody was for her to put as much distance as she could between herself and the ones she loved. Then once she figured out a way to stop what was happening to her, she would return to Mystic Falls.