forty-eight.

out of the ordinary

out of the ordinary

~~~~~

Elliot was leaning against the headboard of a bed in the attic of the church. Curled into her side was Davina, the little witch she had saved with Marcel.

The two adults had taken her away from the scene, trying to get as far away from all the witches that were trying to sacrifice her. They had brought her back to the church—Marcel claiming that no one would be able to find her.

Elliot was skeptical.

But she didn't know anything about New Orleans, so she decided to listen to him. He was the King of New Orleans after all, which he had informed her about and they had been walking.

She though that tile was stupid.

But she decided not to comment on it.

Once Elliot had comforted Davina to the point where the young girl was able to speak, she had asked her a few simple questions—what her name was, how old was she, and simple things like that.

When Davina had finally fallen asleep next to Elliot, Marcel finally took the opportunity to ask the question he had been wondering ever since they left the cemetery.

"I've never seen someone possess powers like yours," Marcel commented. He didn't straight out want to ask the question, not wanting to offend his new found friend.

"Hmm," Elliot hummed in agreement. Her brother came close to what she was minus the shadow manipulation she was capable of.

Marcel didn't seem satisfied with her answer. "If you aren't a witch or supernatural, what are you?" He realized the rudeness of the question after he said it, immediately regretting his wording.

"I'm something," Elliot responded, noticing the frustration on his face. "It's honestly better for the both of us if you don't know," She added.

That part was true.

It was better for the smallest amount of people to know about where her powers came from and her past affiliation with a terrorist organization, especially if a knock off version of Hydra surfaced.

Besides, if she was to tell him, she didn't want to see the inevitable judgment that was going to come from him. She didn't want to deal with that if it were to happen.

Marcel nodded and decided not to push it.

She would tell him eventually if she wanted. And if she didn't, he would respect her choices.

"What's the Harvest?"

"It's a ritual that takes place amongst the witches," Marcel began, remembering the explanation that Sophie had given him after one of their nights together. "Four girls are honored as a part of it. They are led out and then sacrificed as a way to restore power to the ancestors."