38. Lost Homies & Unfading Arcane

"Charlotte was planning to come over here, but she got caught up with work." Ethel informed. He plopped down on the sofa next to me and offered me a box.

"Here, she made a cake for you." I smiled as I grabbed the delicious-smelling box.

"Wow, yummy way to impress her sister-in-law, huh?" I teased E, making him cough and flush simultaneously. I opened the box and began devouring the scrumptious chocolate cake. Oh, how I missed those flavors!

I'd been discharged from the hospital since two weeks. Since then, I'd been on total bedrest in Ethel's condo. Mom and dad were adamant about taking me home, but after much persuading and pretty pleading, they eventually consented. Ethel's girlfriend, Charlotte, or Charlie, as I called her, was such a great company for me all those times. Not that my friends didn't visit me, because they did more than often. Especially Ivy, who stayed with me for quite a few nights. Let's not even bring up Senior Aylwin. Because, well, he was a whole different story. He surely visited me every day, to be precise, but it had been two days since he hadn't. I tried calling him, but he didn't pick up. Messages went unheeded. To be honest, it infuriated and outraged me. I was flummoxed as to what the hell was he up to?

"By the way, E, convey my heartfelt thanks and love to Charlie darling. She's the best. I highly appreciate her gestures, and I mean it, dumbo! " I said while stuffing a spoonful of cake into my mouth.

"Again Charlie? Her name is Charlotte, Soph. And yeah, she's coming over for dinner tonight. "

"You do realize that telling me her name is pointless since I'll still call her Charlie. The world can call her Charlotte, but I'm going to stick with Charlie. " I teased him yet again by cramming an enormous piece of cake into his mouth.

"Moreover, it's her name, and she hasn't had any issues as far as I know, so why are you being such a nosy ass with panda face, ah?" I stuck my tongue out at him as he shook his head in incredulity.

"Okay, Ms. Moody Ass, stop eating like a damn pig. Where's Lily, by the way?" Shit!

"Lily?" I shouted, summoning her, and we were soon approached by the sound of tiny feet tapping on the tiled floor. Lily eyed us with a big goofy grin on her face as Ethel scooped her into his arms and placed her on his lap. He tickled her, making her laugh out loud. Lily was gleaming with glee. How could God be so cruel to her? She was so innocent and beautiful, completely oblivious to the realities that surrounded her. How would she react if she learned the truth about her parents? How would such a delicate soul cope with so much grief? Her life had already been tough, and I feared it wouldn't get much easier in the near future, but nonetheless... My heart broke into two upon realizing how much anguish she had to go through at such a tender age.

The sound of the doorbell interrupted my thoughts. Ethel got up to open the door as Lily cuddled with me. The door opened to reveal none other than Senior Aylwin, looking as ravishing as ever, clad in a black zipped-up leather jacket, slacks, and matching loafers. His hair was neatly combed back. One word—delicious.

"Hey man!" E greeted him, receiving a nod from Senior. Senior's gaze shifted to me for a split second before returning to E.

Archie greeted us with a bashful smile as he emerged from the door, giggling. "Hi Lily!" he waved sheepishly as he noticed her.

"Hi Archie!" Lily smiled back, blushing.

I exchanged glances between them, wiggling my brows at them—'Kid, what's going on? Hmm? '

"Won't you show your sketches to Archie, eh, Lily?" She grinned as she nodded, and Ethel followed suit shortly after.

Childhood sweethearts, huh?