30. Heavens To Betsy & Middle Of Bush

"A shot in the dark gets you nowhere." My neck practically turned at a speed of 1000 m/s. I was more anxious about Senior Aylwin's next words than I was concerned about my whiplash. Angelo's competitive eyes mirrored those of Senior's. Neither of them was willing to give in.

"And you're implying?" Angelo inquired, his neck cocked slightly, his tone playful and humorous. He was getting on his nerves, to say the least.

Good luck with that!

Senior lifted his arm, coiling it against my chair in a subtle, endearing, and dominating manner. Or was I having a hallucination? If so, the paranoia was enjoyable.

"Isn't it obvious?" Words. Mere words. All he had to do was open his mouth and let some words out, and the entire world would fall at his feet. The dominance, elegance, and mystique that beset him at any and all moments proclaimed—'Speak softly and carry a big stick.'

"Aww, that's so romantic! Hot whale's insanely possessive of dolphin. " Angel gushed at us, and I felt a warmth run up my cheeks, making me red-hot. But on the inside, I was all giddy-giddy, behaving like a buffoonish teen. Blest my hormones!

Angelo was still oblivious to the message as he eyed all of us. His twin, on the other hand, was the one who took the initiative to knock some sense in her twin's peanut-sized brain. "You fucker! He's indirectly-basically saying—'Stop hitting on my girl'." His visage switched through a variety of expressions, eventually ending in a scowl. He sneered, "Whatever! I wasn't even trying!"

Whatever floats your boat, petty boy!

"Anyway, the hot whale is already taken, but what about these two—jellyfish and seahorse?" She gestured to Senior Ash and Senior Chase, whose faces were horrified by the names. The girls, on either hand, choked on their ice creams as they glared at Angel.

"I was only asking... No evil intentions... pinky swear! " Angel nervously chuckled as she raised her hands in surrender. The girls rolled their eyes, while the guys laughed and teased them over their weird behavior. I couldn't suppress the chuckles from escaping my throat, half-relieved that she'd forgotten about Senior Aylwin, who was silently watching everything unfold with amusement.

Angel will be Angel, huh!

***

The next day, I was walking across campus when I spotted a familiar brunet sitting alone. He sat on the garden's steps; his gaze fixated on the book. His round black spectacles gave him a glimpse of Harry Potter. His focus was eagle-like, and his lips moved slowly, mumbling something I couldn't catch. The somber expression on his face switched as the pages turned one after the other. Such a nerd!

I gained his attention by clearing my throat. "I'm not disturbing you, am I?" I asked, taking a seat next to him, only for him to create a safe space between us. Well, why wasn't I surprised? He'd resorted to his usual weird Austin self. Weirdo!

He shook his head, as if my existence didn't matter at all, and went back to his reading. So much for being nice! It didn't take long for me to put two and two together and confirm my suspicions. When my suspicions were confirmed, though, I became upset and mad, and the only way to get rid of it was to confront him. So that's exactly what I did!

"You're avoiding me." I stated, my gaze set on his bewildered and stiff form. His hand came to a halt in mid-air while turning the page, and his eyes met mine, which were clogged with sorrow and despair.

"No, not at all! Why would you think so?" He reasoned, but his reluctance was as transparent as a crystal in his gestures.

"Cut the bullshit, Austin. Why? Why are you avoiding me?"