22. A Wild Night & A Kiss Of Midnight

"He cupped my cheek, pulled my face closer to his, and BAM!"

"STOP!" My eyes literally sprang out of their sockets, and I clamped my palms to my ears, refusing to listen to such bullshit.

He burst out laughing, clutching his belly till tears streamed down his cheeks. A sigh of relief escaped my lips. "You're freaking disgusting, Senior Chase." His grin faded as he considered for a few seconds before sighing.

"He slapped me."

"What!?"

"That son of... intellectual, slapped me hard. It took me a moment to retrieve my thoughts and question him, but before I could do so, I was punched again. His words got imprinted into my mind. 'Stop making fun of your life. Don't allow a few chapters to derail you when you have an entire book to write'. His words were harsh, but very true. The whole thing caught me off guard. For the first time, I felt guided, rebuked, and punished. Sort of parental care. With the passage of time, he evolved into the elder brother I never had. The real reason I call him 'bro.'"

I just had one thing to say after listening intently to his words: "Bromance!"

"Has he ever spoken to you or opened up?"

"Never, ever! I tried questioning him, but he never responded with any specifics. It's just that he wants to bear everything himself, which he has done admirably up to this point." He sighed, his head resting in his palm.

"You know, you two are pretty similar to each other; nevertheless, your perspectives are at odds," he said as he turned to face me.

###

"So, any news who may spike your drink?"

"No, Iv! Senior Chase thinks it was probably a prank or something."

"Iv, why would anyone want to spike my drink?"

"C'mon, gal, you should be thanking that individual, right? You wouldn't have kissed the daylight out of Senior Aylwin if he hadn't done that."

Here we go again with this conversation!

"Ok Iv, good night! Have horrible dreams!" I shifted my gaze away from her, my flushed cheeks hidden behind my palm. I could hear her chuckles before they faded entirely.

"I still can't believe we're in their home, Soph. Oh, my sexy ball gown, what a heaven's sign!" I laughed at her melodrama.

"This isn't a sign from the heavens. Furthermore, it's only around a night, and we'll be leaving tomorrow."

"Way to ruin the atmosphere, Soph!" I laughed as I shook my head at her.

Senior Chase had offered us to stay the night at his house, so we did. He also promised that we'd all be able to attend college together in peace. Despite how enticing it sounded, I wanted to pass on the opportunity. Ivy, on the other hand, had bet me on it and enthusiastically accepted.

This is going to be one Hella wild night!

***

My sleep was invaded by a ridiculous nightmare, which left me agitated and disturbed. Despite my repeated attempts to sleep, I was never successful, which irritated me tremendously. All I could hear were faint snores coming from Ivy's lips, which was slightly parted.

Why can't I sleep as soundly as she does? Why do I have to struggle for sleep?

I awoke exhausted from my futile attempts. Although I understood that exploring the place at night was not the ideal option, it was the only way for me to pass the time. I needed to be weary because it would allow me to sleep peacefully, even if only for a short period.