36. Homecoming & Melody Of Love

Sophronia's POV-

"Mr. Home missed you dearly." Dad whispered gently, caressing my hair with affection and worry. It was his way of saying—'You scared me.' Smiling, I heaved a sigh of relief, lavishing the feeling of warmth and utter closeness.

"Tell Mr. Home that I'm absolutely fine. And moreover, I have such a caring dad. What would happen to me? " I tried my best to give him my 'I-am-strong' smile, but the flash of pain in his tired eyes said otherwise.

"Okay, okay, enough talking. Now, speak less and rest more. Do you get it, young lady? " Mom gave me the look that said—'I-dare-you-to-defy-me', which shut me up.

Oh, mother dear!

I giggled as mom and dad went out of the room to let me rest. I huffed, before facing my one and only brother. Ethel sat on the sofa with his face in his palms. Since the moment I regained my consciousness, he has been oddly quiet and weird. I knew for sure that my condition must have disturbed him, but still, something was off with him.

"Ethel, bro?" I shakily called out, instantly gaining his attention as he rushed to my side with a frantic look.

"Yes? Are you alright? Do you need something? Should I call the nurse or... I cut his rambling off, "E, relax! Just calm down. I'm perfectly fine. " He sighed, running his hand over his face before sitting down on the chair next to me.

"What's wrong with you, bro? Are you alright? You seem a little off. Is everything okay? " I voiced my thoughts. He seemed to be at a loss for words for a few seconds before shaking his head in denial.

"No, no problem at all. You're overthinking it. Soph, look what the doc has said: not to overthink and you're..." I again had to cut his rambling.

"Bro! Chillax man!! I was just worried about you. Okay, I won't say anything. " I motioned to zip my lips with my thumb and forefinger, making a small smile dangle on his lips. His smile mirrored mine.

"Now rest, or else mom will bury me alive." He joked, as we shared a heartfelt smile. He leaned in, giving me a light kiss on my forehead. I closed my eyes as he kept stroking my hair, and soon I was whisked away by darkness.

***

A loud shriek left my throat as soon as I fluttered opened my eyes. There were many faces all around me, making me yelp in fright. It was obvious. If you're sleeping peacefully and you all of a sudden open your eyes only to see six heads staring right back at you like you're from some other planet, then you'll definitely yelp in fright.

"Geez woman, calm down. It's us. "

"Oh, my God! You're awake, Soph, and for real. "

"Thank God! You've scared us all, young lady! "

"Who are you all?" was the first thing that left my lips on registering each face. They seemed to be taken aback by my sudden question. Their faces scrunched in confusion, their brows pulled up in a knot.

"What are you saying, Soph?" One of them asked. She was a redhead with swollen eyes. Her eyes held so much worry, sadness, and confusion in them.

I frowned, my head throbbing with pain again, "Ah! Not again. " I mumbled, discomfort hinging my insides.

"Who are you all? Do I know you? " I again asked as they exchanged each other's glances. They seemed to be completely flabbergasted by my words, as if I had wounded them cynically.

"Soph, it's us. Your friends. Don't you remember us? " Another sapphire-eyed girl stated with a broken voice.

"This is Ivy, your roommate. I'm Mysie. This is Sapphire. Remember, we call her Saphy. And Felix, Damien, no, Damy, as we call him.... " Her voice trailed off, as she struggled to make me remember.