47. Found You & When He Smiled

I stood on the cliff, a few meters away from him. He sat on the edge, his legs dangling, peering up at the sky. The pall of bleakness shrouded the ambiance ruthlessly. Nothing felt right. Just dreary and melancholy.

I sat down next to him, my legs swinging in the crisp air, our knees brushing against one another. "Thought I'd find ya here." I mumbled, fatigued and miffed by everything. Emotions sprang to the surface, each striving for survival within me. However, seeing his placid face, eyes earnestly scrutinizing the course of brilliant blue water, and unruly hair ruffling with wave, I felt a tide of calmness and relief wash over my prior worries, concerns, and... guilt.

Except rage. It hovered for a few more moments.

I faced him, taking in his side view. My eyes soaked in his quintessential visage, compelling me to speculate on what was going through his head at the moment.

"So, enjoying the view?" I blurted out, my negligence taking over, the words of mock drizzled in molasses of displeasure and distress.

"Thank you for dropping a message. Thank you for answering our calls. After all, we weren't really worried sick about you. I mean, c'mon, why would we really worry about you?"

Like a dam breaking in one go, the words surged out. After all, it wasn't a lie. "It's normal to switch off your phone and go MIA on your own birthday. Like a very causal thing. After all, there's no one out there who cares! Never-mind."

I huffed, running my fingers through my frizzy curls. Christ, I for sure looked like a racoon in shambles. I wanted nothing more than to take him with me. Go with the flow of the planned night. Let my eunoia dwell in peace.

But, given his intentions for stillness, I doubted that would happen. Regardless of all of this, he opted to keep mum. No words. Not even a sigh! Argh! Irritation. Exactly. That would be the word I'd use to summarize my predicament. I was literally on the cusp of yelling. Instead, I bit my tongue, choosing otherwise.

"Are you going to say something?" I nearly pleaded. Restless and worn out. I had no idea how he was feeling. Trust me, I wanted to know it more than anything else in the world at the moment.

"Wow! So silent treatment it is." I sighed. Ugh! Could I just punch the crap out of him? His silence was not helpful. I needed to know. He needed to release it. This was definitely not how he had thought his birthday would unfold. This was definitely not how I imagined his birthday to unfold.

After many more minutes of dead stillness, I heard it. Sigh. He sighed. Slowly. A very breathy exhale. I felt him shuffling. The distance between us no longer existed. I then felt a weight on my shoulder. His masculine cologne immediately engulfed me. His breath fanning my neck. An enchanting, luxurious tease. The softness of his tousled dark curls tickled my flesh sensually.

The action, the gesture, and the scene in front of my eyes made it impossible for me not to tear up. His gaze was still glued on the river. I wondered, what was so hypnotizing about them?

His face was brimming with innocence. Almost as though he was assuring my presence. He was battling with himself to believe. His beautiful, long eyelashes were fluttering and shielding the grandeur of the blue fire of his orbs. There was an uncanny contentment in soaking up his form. A very twisted sort of insane pleasure.

The weight was lifted. He straightened up once again. Then, ever so slowly, in perfect slow motion, his eyes met mine for the very first time. Like two feverous swords clashing with passion, desperation, and concern, the oceans wreaked havoc on earth. The izles of temptation and something far more than entrancing devoured me totally and utterly.