33 - Betrayal's Sharp Blade

Y/N'S POV

Seeing Jay and Jungwon in the base almost makes me question my sanity. I can't breathe. It's as if time has frozen, and the world narrows down to the three of us in the middle of the training area. I can tell everyone around is waiting for an explanation, for answers that I'm not sure I'm ready to give. 

"Do you know them?" The man's fist that was raised a moment ago now hangs in a hesitant pause. His lower lip is stained with blood and when I look at Jay's hand, I can see the split knuckles from the force of his punch. Fuck. 

"These two are with me." As much as I want to look away, when my eyes lock with Jay's, the world seems to stand still for a heartbeat. There's no escaping the intensity in his eyes—the anger, the hurt, the questions that demand answers. But what makes my heart almost stop is the glimpse of something else, something deeper. He's here, without any of his men, and that is enough to make my heart race and my thoughts scatter.

The man in front of us studies me for a moment, suspicion evident in his eyes. "With you? You disappeared for so fucking long and now you show up with these guys. Care to explain, Agent Red?" I roll my eyes and clench my fists. I get that people are wondering how the Park Jay is here and why I've been away but there's a limit to the questions one gets to ask me and this motherfucker just crossed it.

"I said, they're with me. Unless you want to end up with broken ribs and a fucking bruised ego, I suggest you keep your Q&A session to another time." I retort, my frustration bleeding into my words, and watch as he grumbles and takes a step back. Of course, I'm not worth the trouble. I'll end up being more than trouble. "Follow me." Everyone gets out of the way and without turning around, I can tell the two are walking behind me. We're about to have one hell of a conversation. 

"Y/N." Jay calls out my name when we step inside the dimly lit room, his voice a low growl that sends shivers down my spine. Jungwon stays outside, most probably to keep an eye on our surroundings, ensuring we won't be interrupted during this crucial conversation. I understand if he can't trust the people in this world. I don't even trust them myself. 

"What the hell are you doing here?" There are a lot of questions I want to ask, a lot of things I want to say, but I need to know why he's here, standing in the midst of the dangerous world I tried so hard to shield him from. "I told you not to follow me. You're risking everything by being here-"

"I'm here for you. You know that." His words almost sound like a plea, a desperate attempt to make me understand. But I can't understand. I don't want to understand. "You shouldn't be here, Y/N. This life is not meant for you."

"What do you mean, this life is not meant for me? This is my life. The life I had before you came crashing into it." The bitterness in my voice surprises even me, but I refuse to let him see how much his presence affects me. "I didn't ask for you to follow me. I didn't ask for any of this. I told you I wouldn't hesitate to kill anyone you send after me, Jay. Including you."

"You can kill me." I wonder if I just misheard him, but his words are clear and firm. I stare at him, trying to understand just what he's willing to sacrifice for this. "If that's what you really want to do, then do it. I won't stop you." I'm at a loss for words. There's no right thing to say to a statement like that.

"I don't want to kill you, Jay," I say, the words catching in my throat. "Do you even understand what you're saying? This isn't some game. People die in this world. You could die. This is not your world, and you're putting yourself in danger by being here. Just fucking leave."

"I'm not leaving." He takes a step forward and I have to one back to maintain some distance. However, all I want is for him to hold me in his arms and whisper that everything will be alright. But this world doesn't work that way.