7

"Yes, I am a genius

"Yes, I am a genius."

A while later

Hotch ordered Emily, Derek and Rossi to go to the other crime scenes, leaving him with Spencer and Yelena the apartment Heather shared with her partner, David.

They knocked on the door as David answere and let them in.

As soon as they entered, a dog approached them, barking aggressively at them. At Spencer specifically.

"Sandy, no, no ,no. Sorry." He apologised with a soft smile.

"Don't worry, it's okay. It's what we call the Reid effect." Hotch began as Yelena snorted.

"Happens with children too." Hotch finished with a smile forming on his face.

Yelena smiled, trying to hold her laughter as she patted Spencer's shoulder, passing him as she made her way to the pile of books and magazines.

"I'm Agent Hotchner, this is Special Agent Doctor Reid, and over there, invading your privacy is Special Agent Romanoff."
Her eyes widened at the mention of her name as she turned towards them giving them an awkward wave.

"Oh, you look to young to have gone to medical school." David remarked as Spencer smiled, approaching the living area.

"They're P.h.Ds, three of them." Spencer spoke as the man looked at him confused.

"Are you a genius or something?" David chuckled as Spencer just smiled.

"I-I don't believe intelligence can be can be accurately quantified-"He began as Yelena scoffed, "Says the genius." She muttered as he glanced at her.

"But I do have an IQ of 187, an eidetic memory and can read twenty thousand words per minute." He finished as the room fell silent.

"Yes, I am a genius." He admitted awkwardly as he sat down on the couch. The dog barked once more.

"Sandy, you get a lot of attention, do you?" Hotch asked as he petted the dog.

"Yeah, Heather loves this dog." David smiled softly.

"I feed her when Heather's away." He petted her as well.

"Usually she's fine, but...Lately she won't eat. It's almost like she can sense something's wrong." He looked at his dog with a worried expression.

"Not sense, smell. Our apocrine sweat gland releases secretions in response to emotional stress." Reid began as he wandered around the room.

"Sandy's worried because she knows you are." Hotch clarified as David nodded.

"Hey, David, does your sister drive a Datsun Z?" Yelena asked as David turned towards her.

"No, but she's in the market for one, how'd you know?" He asked, petting his dog.

Yelena pulled out a magazine from the pile.

Hotch and Spencer turned towards her as the dog barked once more.

"Come on, Sandy." David led Sandy to the kitchen as Hotch walked towards Yelena.

"There's an immediate relationship made between a buyer and a seller, a level of trust." She began.

"So if I want to coax a young woman into my car..." Spencer trailed off as he walked towards them.

"Offer her a test drive." Hotch finsihed as he nodded in agreement.

They bid their goodbyes with David and left the apartment as they headed back to the station.

-

"Okay, then how 'bout the fact that on one hand, we have paranoid psychosis..." Derek trailed off as Yelena was looking at the pictures, Spencer was twirling around in his seat like a twelve year old, and Hotch sat in the corner.

"But the autopsy protocol says what?" He asked them.

"Adhesive residue shows he put layer after layer of duct tape over his victim's eyes." Spencer replied as Derek nodded.

"He knows he wants to kill them, but he still covers their eyes." Derek began.

"He doesn't want them looking at him." Hotch said as he sipped his coffee.

"Okay, but then he takes the body and dumps it right out in the open, murder weapon nearby." He huffed.

"Not the M.O. of a paranoid convinced he's being watched or surveilled." Spencer noticed as he looked at the files.

"Paranoid psychosis, but behavior that's not paranoid." Derek pointed out.

"Maybe he's schizophrenic." Hotch suggested as Derek shook his head.

"Maybe we just don't have enough for a complete profile." Derek argued.

"We have enough to narrow our list of suspects." Hotch retorted.

"We're looking at less than twelve hours to have to find this woman, we don't know exactly what- Hotch, we don't know anything!" Derek exclaimed as they kept talking and talking over each other.

"Alright, enough." Yelena said as the room went silent.

"Let's tell them we're ready." Yelena told them as she turned around.

"We're ready?" Derek asked as she walked out of the room.

Derek furrowed his brows, "Hotch? You good with this?" He asked him.

"We've got a woman who's only got a few hours left to live and an incomplete profile. We've got nothing." He said as Hotch nodded,

"I trust her." He said firmly as he stood up from his seat.

-

They all headed to the conference room where many officers sat down.

"The unindentified subject is white and in his late twenties." Yelena paced in front of them.

"He's someone you wouldn't notice at first.

Someone who'd blend into any crowd. The violent nature of the crime suggests a previous criminal record.

Petty crimes, maybe auto theft." She turned around to face them, "We've classified him as an organized killer, psychopathic as opposed to psychotic.

He follows the news, has good hygiene. He's smart.

Because he's smart, the only physical evidence you'll find is what he wants you to find." She listed as some of them took notes.

"He's mobile, car in good condition. Our guess, Jeep Cherokee, tinted windows. Psychiatric evaluations will show a history of paranoia.

Stemming from a childhood trauma, death of a parent or family member.

And now he feels persecuted and watched." She trailed off.

"Murder gives him a sense of power. Organized killers have a fascination with law enforcement.

They will inject themselves in the investigation.

They will even come forward as witnesses to see just how much the police already know. That makes them feel powerful, in control.

Wich is why I think... No, scratch that, I know... you have already interviewed him."