29

"Norman fucking Rockwell couldn't have painted this any cozier

this any cozier."

"How far do you live from here?" Hotch asked Katie's parents. "About a mile." Beth answered.

"Do you mind if we search your house?" Hotch asked.

"Of course not. What do you think you're gonna find there?" Paul asked, rubbing the back of his head.

"It's just protocol." Derek replied. "Excuse me." Hotch excused himself as they joined Emily for some answers.

"What is he not telling us?" Hotch asked her.

As she was about to answer, someone else raced her to it.

"The clasp is damaged, like it was ripped off of her neck." She began.

"Then they tossed it in the trash. If the abductor just wants to fulfill his urge and move on, he wouldn't take the time." She added as she was thinking.

"This is motivated by rage. It's personal." She finished as she looked at Hotch.

He surely did not have an amused look on his face.

"What do you think you're doing, Romanoff?" He asked, his hands on his hips.

"My job?" She answered as if it was the most normal thing to do.

Suddenly, Spencer came running and panting as he came to a stop.

"Reid, what did I tell you?" Hotch asked, not even looking at him.

"Keep her away from the case, I know but-" He went to protest, interrupted as Yelena held her hand up.

"It's my fault, wait, screw that, I'm here to do my job whether you like it or not." She told Hotch as she looked him in the eye.

Hotch was actually impressed by her ability to stay concentrated on a case, catching herself up and looking for clues all alone while she wasn't in a state to do so.

Of course he didn't show it, his expression remaining blank instead.

"Show me what you got." He challenged her as she smirked, turning around and walking away.

DEREK, YELENA AND SPENCER

Jacobs' Residence

After a long speech from Yelena to Hotch with a lot of cussing and with many reasons as to why he should let her go inspect the house, Hotch reluctantly accepted.

Of course, he ordered Spencer to keep a cautious eye on her.

"Somebody lit a fire last night." Yelena inspected the fireplace.

She and Spencer were in the living room while Derek was in the kitchen.

"Well, there's dirty dishes for 3 in the kitchen, So they eat together as a family." Derek said, crouching as he opened some drawers.