31

panic and observations

YELENA AND JJ

"One minute, I'm having a lighter engraved for my husband, And the next minute, Katie's name is being paged."

Yelena remembered those exact words coming from Richard's wife, Susan.

"You know, for probably the most stressful day of your life, I haven't seen you light one cigarette." She remarked as she watched Richard look away.

"I quit over a month ago." He simply said as he sighed

"You'd think after all my years in retail, I'd hate the mall, but it was convenient."

She replayed that sentence in her mind over and over for a moment.

As she began piecing it all together, she turned around and motioned for JJ to come with her.

"I don't think the aunt told us everything, and this could get fucked up." She told her colleague as she tapped her arm, nodding her head to Susan who sat in the chair.

"Susan-" Yelena began, interrupted as the woman stood up. "What is it?" She asked with slight panic.

Beth approached Yelena and JJ, "Did you find my daughter?" She asked, on the verge of tears.

Neither Yelena or JJ answered that question.

"Uh, I need to speak with susan." Yelena set her hand on Susan's arm to lead her away.

"Why? What happened?" Beth didn't stop asking questions, the mother panicking as her breath quickened.

"Did you find her?" She asked, trying to calm down but tears still rolling on her face.

"No. Not yet." Yelena answered simply, keeping her gaze in front of her.

"What--is it about jeremy?" Susan asked. "No." Yelena replied, wanting the woman to shut up.

"Richard?" Susan asked with slight panic.

Only this time, Yelena turned around at the sound of her voice, how Susan wasn't pretending to be scared for her husband.

She knew there was something to dig up in that moment.

As she was puzzling the missing pieces of the story, Spencer came rushing towards her.

"What are you doing here, Reid?" She turned her head to look at him, panting.

"And what did I say about the damn cardio, you and I would make great workout buddies, you know?" She told him, with her hands on her hips and a knowing look.

"Excuse us." He told Susan, "No, I'd like to know why she wanted to speak with me about my husband." She told him.

"Your nonsense about my son can wait." Susan said as she looked back at Yelena.

"So, you're more interested in your husband than your own son?" Yelena asked her.

"Of course." Susan replied, as if it was the most important thing in the world.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Yelena asked, disgusted by what came out of Susan's mouth.

Yelena was weirded out by the idea of someone caring more about their husband than about their own child.

"Excuse me?" Susan asked, taken aback by Yelena's words.

"You sick bitch." Yelena scoffed as she took Spencer's arm and lead him away.

"Talk." She ordered as she looked down, waiting for Spencer to talk.

"JJ and Rossi found out Susan was working in this mall years ago. And so that means-" He began as she interrupted him.

"She knows every corner, every hideout, she knows everything about this mall." Yelena finished.

"Yeah." Spencer said with a glum expression.

"What's wrong?" Yelena asked him.

Although Yelena Romanoff wasn't all about friendships and emotional shit, she still cared about some people.

People who she hoped cared about her too, but that she would never admit.

"Nothing." Spencer said, knowing he couldn't escape her following interrogation about his mood.

"Come on, I know when something's up, Reid. Believe me." She scoffed as he didn't answer.

"What is it? You look like someone who hasn't been laid for over a week." She chuckled at her own 'joke'.

He looked away in shame as she gasped, "Oh my God." She whispered as he looked at her, embarrassment written all over his face.

"Spencer Reid hasn't been getting any for a long time, I see." She began laughing out loud. she bent over her knees, putting her finger up.

As her fit of laughter died down she straightened up her back, trying to hold a more serious face.

"So, I-" Spencer began as he got interrupted by yet another fit of chuckles, "I'm sorry, but one question, Spence.'" She began with a smile.

"How can you even do this job like that?" She asked him, snorting as she gasped, "Are you on drugs?" She asked him as he shook his head, opening his mouth to talk.

"Do you smoke?" She asked him, "No, I just..." He trailed off, not even knowing the answer.

"Do you drink?" She asked him, "Occasionally." He shrugged. "Occasionally? The fuck does that mean?" She asked him.

"Well-" He began as he was interrupted yet again. But not by Yelena this time.

"Excuse me, is your clearly interesting conversation more important than my husband?" Susan asked.

Yelena turned around to look at her.

"Why would you say that?" Yelena asked. "Say what?" Susan asked.

"When a child is missing, they're the most important thing in a family member's mind, but you seem more preoccupied about your husband than your missing niece." Spencer answered.

"Yeah, what he said." Yelena said, nodding her head at Spencer.

"Well, I don't know what you're talking about."