23

"What's the matter, Reid?"

He stood in the doorway, watching her as she slept. He felt like a psychopath, watching someone in their sleep.

She shifted in her position, her eyes fluttering open.

"What are you doing here?" She asked as she straightened up with a confused expression.

"Just... wanted to check on you. And..." He trailed off, looking down at the floor as he tried to formulate his next words.

"I wanted to apologize for yesterday." He managed to say.

"No, no-" She began as she was interrupted.

"No, uh... I didn't mean it. Any of it. Not that my words would hurt you because... Derek says people know when you don't mean something when you don't but I don't know how you can know, so..." He froze in his place.

"I wanted to say sorry." He finally said.

She nodded slowly, sensing that she should say something in return. Apologize.

"I know. I... I'm..." She tried as she sighed.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm... sorry, too." She said.

He nodded, walking towards the chair as he went to sit on it.

A silence washed over the room. Except for the monitor in the corner.

"Is it true?" She asked out of nowhere. He looked up with a confused face.

"About your mom." She finished as he sighed, nodding.

"How did you know?" She asked as he leaned forward in his seat.

"Well, I was a bit of a nerd back then, so after reading a couple books and studying her symptoms, I just knew." He said.

"Must've been tough." She remarked as she looked down, a sympathetic feeling rushing in her.

The awkward silence came back, the two sitting with nothing to talk about.

She sighed, "I have to get out of this shithole." She began as she quickly removed the IV out of her arm, attempting to stand up.

"I don't think you should-" He protested, interrupted by the sound of her body hitting the ground.

He rushed to her, helping her up.

She slung her arm over his shoulder as he was just about to set her on the bed again.

She looked at him. "Reid. Don't be stupid." She warned him.

They stood like that for a second before he made his decision.

He helped her out of the room.

"Fuck. My clothes." She spoke with a sigh.

He looked out for any doctors, slowly walking her to the closet.