24

"Easy there, you might drown

"Easy there, you
might drown."

"Hey, kid. Breakfast?" She asked, peaking from the doorway, looking at the boy who was sleeping on her bed.

She had slept on the couch, letting him sleep in her bed that was more comfortable. He nodded, rubbing his sleepy eyes.

She nodded firmly with a smile, walking away towards the kitchen to make him something.

"Hey, can you go pick up some eggs from your dad?" She called as he walked into the kitchen, jumping on one leg as he tried to put on his shoe.

"I was just about to ask you the same thing." He said as he made his way to the door.

"Don't get caught!" She exclaimed. "Don't burn my food!" He exclaimed as he closed the door after him.

She chuckled as she pulled out two plates.

-

The door opened once again, "Got the eggs." He said, holding up the box as he closed the door after him.

"How's your dad?" She asked him as he approached her.

"Same as always, beer in hand and asleep in front of the tv." He answered with a sad expression.

She rubbed his head as he walked away. "I hate that asshole. No offense." She spoke.

"None taken." He sighed as he plopped on the couch.

She began making breakfast, struggling with the eggs because she wasn't used to make this much food in the morning.

She had the tendency to just eat a cold bowl of cereal.

"Fuck." She said, squeezing her finger in slight pain due to the heat of the pan full of hot eggs.

She held up both of the plates in hand and a coffee mug hanging onto her finger, walking to the coffee table.

"Hey. Breakfast." She called, making him turn around and straighten up from his position to eat.

She sat next to him on the couch, picking up her mug and taking a few sips of her coffee.

"Where's my coffee?" He asked with a confused expression.

"You're telling me a..what? Ten year old drinks coffee?" She asked as she looked at him.

"I'm nine." He said with a sassy tone.

"Alright." She raised her brows as she got up to pour him some coffee.

"Here." She said, handing him the mug as he smiled.

"Thank you." He thanked her as he took a large gulp from the mug.

"Easy there, you might drown." She said as she chuckled at her own attempt of a joke.

He rolled his eyes as he began eating his scrambled eggs.