The Hunger Games

I look at Sage.

"What do you mean fighting?" My heart rate picks up. I don't want Sage to be in any danger.

He smiles kindly at me, "If I want to be crowned Mafia King I have to earn it. I have to kill anyone else who wants it."

This is some Hunger Games type thing.

"Don't be like Rue okay? Be like Katniss," I kiss his forehead.

"What?"

I gasp, "Have you never read The Hunger Games?"

"No," he smiles softly.

"You have to read it," I tell him.

"You should read it to me," he says to me.

He makes it sound like he is going to die.

"Don't talk like that. You are going to win. I will help you. Are there sponsors like in The Hunger Games?" I will be the best Haymitch ever.

"Do you mean Assassins? You can hire an assassin or have someone else hire an assassin to kill someone down there," he explains to me, only making me more confused.

"So I can ask someone to send someone 'down there' to kill someone else?" I ask so confused.

"Yes."

"Where is down there?"

So confused.

"There is going to be a pit. Like a football field but bigger. A lot bigger. Weapons are placed randomly. There are lots of walls and rooms and it's weird. You never know what to expect. There are even booby traps."

Haha. Boobies.

"Okay. Is there a way for me to help you know where they are?"

If you're not cheating, you're not trying.

"Yeah. You can buy things and send me them. You can put a note in it," Sage smiles.

"Not to be that person...but can we conjoin bank accounts?"

Sage laughs, "Of course."

Sage

So not everything is going to plan. She wasn't supposed to know about the fight until after the surprise.

Now she is going to think I am doing it because I am going to die.

We walk around talking to more people and making for alliances.

One hundred fifty men will go down there. One will come back up. That one needs to be me.

I wish I didn't commit to this all those years ago. I don't want to lose Bay when so just got her.

***

When night comes I take Bay to our room. We stay in our clothes just in case anyone comes to make an alliance.

Step three. Starts now.

"Baylor there are going to be fireworks. Come watch with me," I take her hand and drag her out to the porch with me.

As we she stares at the fireworks I get down on one knee.

"Sage look at that one-" she turns and sees me on the ground. "Oh. No, Sage. I-I don't think-"

"Stop talking. Listen to me okay?" she nods, "I am not proposing. I want to give you this promise ring. To promise you that I will come back up and that I will marry you one day."

Her eyes tear up, "It's so pretty."

She stares at the silver wire ring that has gems twisted in it. Almost like a galaxy.

I stand up and almost fall back down as she hugs me.

"Thank you!"

I kiss her forehead.

"I leave at midnight."

Her smile drops.

"Already?"

She starts crying again.

She is so pretty when she cries.

"Yes. I'm sorry," my voice cracks.

Shit. Am I crying?

We hold each other tight until I have to leave. I put the uniform on, grab my weapons, and leave.

"I'll be back, love. I promise."

"I love you," I melt at her words. I never want to hear her stop saying that.

"I l-"

"Say it when you get back," she says through her tears.

It pains me as I close the door. A tear falls from my eyes. I quickly wipe it before anyone can see.

This stupid King Mafia shit is not worth dying for.

Baylor

I immediately get to work. I wait five minutes after Sage has left to leave. I put my galaxy ring on head to the bar.

I have watched enough movies to know what I am doing. Not really but I'd do anything for Sage. Even fake confidence I don't have.

Sitting down there are a couple men here.

"Can I get a strawberry daiquiri please?" I ask the bar tender making a couple heads turn.

"I need to see an ID miss."

Oh. I didn't think that through.

"Oh. I meant a virgin strawberry daiquiri. Sorry," I smile wearily at him.

"You should go back to your room," a man to my left says.

"Sorry?" Rude.

"A young lady like you will get raped if they stay out here," he says making my skin crawl.

Well...

"I think I can handle myself," I smile politely at him.

I get my strawberry daiquiri and thank the bartender.

I make sure to keep my hand over my drink.

"Don't worry. I'll protect you," the drunk idiot says.

"I don't need protecting. My boyfriend taught me how to protect myself."

"Boyfriend? Tell me more," a smile creeps over his lips.

"Do you know Sage Lorenzo?" I ask calmly even though my heart is racing a million miles per minute.

He cringes, "Yeah. That man whooped my ass. If he is down there he is going to get his ass whooped though. He doesn't stand a chance against Big Mike. Big Mike will rip his head off."

Ok. Stay calm. Stay calm. Stay calm. No freaking out. Absolutely no freaking out.

"Well, let's hope someone else kills Big Mike before he can kill Sage."

Nice job, Baylor. Woo.

"Let's hope," the man murmurs.

I continue to drink my strawberry daiquiri in peace.

"How did you meet Sage?" A man on my right asks me.

This is the man that Sage said kills everyone who speaks to him.

"Funny story actually," I nervously laugh, "I was a pole dancer at a strip club. I didn't know though. That it was a strip club. I thought it was just a dancing club. Sage told me that it was not what I thought it was. But not until after he saved me from the American Mafia. They kidnapped me because Ben, their leader I guess, was obsessed with me."

He stares at me with a blank face. He didn't seem to find my story very funny. Uh. Oh.