Meeting the Russians

Baylor:

We land in Russia a couple hours later. Emerson had to stay home with Marcus and Carmelo. He refused to leave my side but I had to. He cried as I boarded the plane.

My heart melted a little bit.

But now we sit prepping for how to go about this. I listen as Natalia and Sage and Beck all debate what the best plan is.

***

I sit down. At dinner. With the Russians. In the Russian mafia base. Eating steak. With Sage next to me.

What.

The.

Fuck.

I wouldn't believe you if you told me this is where I would be.

The Russian leader sits eating loudly. His mouth wide open as he chews. His wrinkly cheeks and saggy chin makes it that much grosser. His hair is just short of being a bob cut and it has not been washed in days.

"What's a beautiful woman like you doing with ugly pig like him?" he asks with a thick accent.

I try my best to form a smile that I hope looks believable.

"He's really not that bad," I try to joke, "He treats me as if I am a queen."

"Well you are!" he hollers, "You are the mafia queen! Everyone has heard by now about the power you hold. Well held. While he was sleeping in the stars."

"Everyone?" my smile drops.

"Oh yes! It's like the shot heard around the world. The way everyone followed your commands while in charge. No woman has ever held this much power in the mafia world." He stops chewing for a moment and really looks at me, "You're a prize to be won, krasivaya devushka."

I look at Sage. His eyes are burning into the man's head.

"That means pretty girl. But I think we should talk business now," he finally sets his fork down, "I am Alec Ishkovav, as you know. You have five minutes to tell me what you want."

Sage perks up, "Nothing. Just making rounds as I am the new Mafia King."

Alec snorts, "My people found your people."

My heart drops.

"Tell me or I will kill them. Mafia King or not. However, I might agree to a deal which will spare all lives."

Sages heart rate increases. I see it as his chest heaves.

I speak up, "What is the deal?"

Alec's eyes shift over to me.

He hmms in response, "She still holds the power."

I don't react I just stare at him waiting for the answer to my question.

"You. For them."

"No." Sage says.

"Deal." I say it at the same time as Sage.

"You listen to the Mafia King. Not her," Sage says as if I am nobody.

"I didn't ask the Mafia King for the deal. She is the one who asked. She is the one who accepted," Alec smirks.

My chest tightens as I see the hurt in Sages eyes.

"Let me go home with them for the night. You can have a car come pick me up first thing in the morning. I want to make sure they are safe and you hold your end of the deal," I tell Alec.

He ponders is for a moment, "Deal."

I nod my head and grab Sages hand. I pull him out of the dinner hall and watch as Natalia and Beck get thrown out the front doors.

What happened? Their eyes asked us.

I gave them a little reassuring smile.

Natalia:

She traded herself. Her smile was anything but reassuring.

The way Sages eyes looked right through as gave away he is planning. His tense arms and the way he won't let go of Baylors hand even when she hugs me. It all gives away what she did.

That dumb motherfucker. I want to slap her as my arms surround her.

"You are a dumbass for doing that," I whisper in her ear.

She looks shocked.

"I can read you like a book, babes. Don't be surprised."

She looks at the ground. When the doors close behind us separating us from the Russians she laughs.

This bitch laughs.

No one says anything. We all stare at her in astonishment.

"What could you possibly be laughing about?" I snap at her.

I feel bad but she doesn't even seem to care.

"Nothing," she laughs some more.

"Baylor Lorenzo. I am going to murder you."

I realized I called her by Sages last name.

Sage finally speaks up, "Does this seem like a joke?"

We all sit in the car and close the doors.

Baylor finally speaks up, "I am going to take over the Russian Mafia."

Oh. My. God.

"What the fuck? How the fuck are you going to do that? You think this is funny? You think that will be easy?" I start shouting at her. "Baylor, this is not a joke! This is real life."

Baylor stares at me.

"I need a poison. A strong one. I need the old guy. And I need to say temporary goodbyes!" she smiles at us like an idiot.

"What is your plan?" Sage asks dumbfounded.

Baylor pauses a moment, "I can't tell you. You won't trust me."