Claustrophobia

I feel the walls cave in. Getting tighter and tighter around me. I swear I am suffocating. Sweat drips down my spine. My breathing is strangled.

Focus. Focus. Deep breaths. In through the nose. Out through the mouth.

Go through your five steps Baylor.

5.

4.

3.

2.

1.

I zone back in collecting myself. I find myself in Sages arms on the floor.

"Baylor," Sage yells.

"Sorry," I whisper, "Okay. Let's keep looking."

I stare at the second canvas. The cup and dice. "Take the risk".

"It's a long shot," I make a small joke to myself.

I count up the dice. 18.

I grab the book and flip to that page.

A poem. I read it to everyone, "You are the answer to all your problems."

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" Marcello spits as he talks.

Old age is really creeping up on him.

I decide to try the key on the first canvas.

It opens.

"Guys look!" When I turn back to the canvas a gun sticks out and shoots me.

A burning feeling erupts in my arm.

A loud ringing noise is all I hear. I look up at the shelves that were behind the canvas. A hand print is in the bottom of one.

Drown out the pain. Stay focused. Save them.

Come on, Baylor.

I repeat this to myself over and over.

The ringing noise doesn't stop. I can't hear Sage, Carmelo, or Marcus.

I pull out the shelf and stick Sages hand on it without saying anything.

I grab the gun that I got from the nightstand and take it with me to the bathroom door that opened.

My vision begins to sparkle. My head spins.

I look around the almost empty bathroom.

A toilet. Mirror. Sink. Empty shower.

Not quite the luxury bathroom we had in our room.

I turn to see Sage, Carmelo, and Marcus yelling at each other. Sage keeps looking over at me cautiously.

"You are the answer to all your problems," I whisper in realization. "To get out you just be willing to die."

I look at Sage who's eyes widen in realization. I give him a small smile.

"I love you, Sage," I close the bathroom door as he springs over to me to try and stop me.

The basically empty and silent room is somewhat comforting after the hectic life I have had this past month or so.

I am glad I got to fall in love with Sage. He is one of the best things that could have ever happened to me.

I raise the gun and point it at myself. I stare at myself in the mirror. Oh what a wonderful life I have lived.