Queen Mafia

Beck yells at me over and over.

"Beck I don't want to hear it."

"No, Baylor. You have to hear it. I promised my best friend, my only friend, my brother I would protect you. When you do dumb shit like that you make it really hard. If Sage is dead I want to make sure I do the one thing he asked me to do," Beck yells at me in the car ride to base three.

His words hit me hard in the chest. I am not the only one that this is affecting.

"Sorry," I whisper, "I'll try better."

Beck leans his head against the headrest.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you."

"No, Beck, it's okay. I wasn't even thinking about how this affected you. I was only thinking about myself," I stare at my hands. "How did you guys meet?"

Beck tenses, "My parents attempted to kill his parents. They were murdered by the guards. Sage found out about me, their child. He helped me change my last name and fake a backstory. They let me join the mafia and Sage had hid my parents from them ever since."

Woah.

"That's traumatic," I accidentally say out loud.

Beck laughs, "Yeah, it really is."

There's a long pause before either of us speak.

"I'm sorry about-"

"Let's not talk about it," I cut him off.

"So what's the plan then?"

"Natalia is in place. We will try and get in contact with her before we get there," I inform him.

As if she heard us I get a text.

Natalia:  In with boss of base.

Me: On way. They know we are coming. Slight change of plans. You do the same as told. We will try to stay out of your way.

Natalia: What happened?

Me: I lost my temper...

Natalia: He deserved it🤷‍♀️

Me: I agree

I smile and laugh a little. I like her.

"What did she say?" Beck asks noticing I am texting her.

"She is in with the boss of that base. I told her we would try to stay out of her way."

He nods his head. We pull in moments later.

If Sage is dead I have the right to have every man in the mafia killed. It's stated in the papers.

We walk in without knocking.

The building is a ginormous warehouse. It would take hours to search every room.

Good think we won't have to.

Me: Where should we start?

Natalia: Basement. East stairs.

We head in that direction. No one questions us. No one recognizes me and it's doubtful they recognize Beck.

Americans are really dumb. Including myself if I am being honest.

As we head through all the cold and empty hallways I start to question why it's so empty. And cold.

The blank cement walls feel endless.

We finally find the steps and head down them.

Me: Heading down east steps now

All the lights are off. I use the flashlight on my phone to see. When we get down all the steps, fifty five to be exact, I step into a puddle of water.

We enter a huge empty room. I find the lights and turn them on. There are some pipes and wires but other than that it's completely empty.

Me: Empty.

Natalia: West basement. Still working on getting info from boss.

We head back upstairs and to the west side of the building.

Me: Where is everyone? It's completely empty.

Natalia: went to bosses house. you set off alarm.

Me: is that a good or bad thing?

Natalia: don't know.

"Everyone is at the bosses house. We set off an alarm," I tell Beck.

"I assumed so."

We find the west basement door. There's almost double the amount of steps this time. By the time I get to the bottom I am tired. And that's just from going down.

I have no service down here.

We turn the lights on and find a bunch of cells with people in them. They all squint as if they haven't had the lights on in a while.

There is one long hall with cells on either side. I can't see the end of the hallway.

"Sage!" I call out.

Everyone starts to move and try to reach for me through the bars. They yell at me to help them. Get them out. I look into every cell hoping to find Sage.

"Sage!" I yell again.

"He's not down here," an old man with grey hair tells me.

"How do you know?"

"No body new has been brought down here in more than two years if I have my days right."

His cell has little hashes all over.

"Do you remember the day when you were put in here?" I ask him.

"November fifth 1999," he tells me.

I gasp.

"I know," he says, "I've been in here for five years."

"I'm so sorry," I pause, "You've been in here for twelve years."

He looks at me surprised.

"Oh, I must have slept through quite a lot of days."

I keep moving. If he sleeps a lot Sage may have been brought it when he was asleep.

When I look around I realize Beck is gone.

"Beck?"

"Down here!"

I rush down the hall to him.

There we find a four year old.

I gasp again.

"We can't leave him Beck," I whisper.

"I agree. Let's wait until we get Sage."

The little boy is crying. When he sees us he scurried away. He is covered in dirt from head to toe. His hair is grown out to almost his shoulders. I can't tell if his hair is brown or blonde because of how much dirt is in it.

"We are going to get you out, okay?" I smile at him.

He says nothing back.