Frienamies

"So, he saved you? Just because? He had no idea who you were?" he doesn't seem to believe me.

"Well, Ben introduced me to him once," I go on to explain the long story and all the details. But I didn't tell him what they did when I was in there.

"Ben is an awful man. He wants women for their bodies," the man says.

"Yeah. I'd know," I shrug.

He laughs. Laughs. I internally sigh. Maybe he won't kill me.

"I'm Marcus," he reaches out to shake my hand.

"I'm Baylor."

"I am sorry about what happened to you. If you need help with Sage let me know. I'll be glad to help," he gives me a small smile before walking away and going to his room.

I don't know what Sage meant when he said he kills everyone. Marcus was nice to me.

***

I go to bed waking up early the next morning to a horn sounding. I walk back to the bar area to find everything complete rearranged. There is now a big window on one wall and a bunch of seats. When you look down you can see the arena.

It has already started. I kill list is shown on a tv screen hanging to the wall. It wasn't supposed to have started until nine. It's only seven.

I sit down and watch. The men down there look like tiny mice running around a maze. I read down the kill list. A bunch of people I don't know.

I try to find Sage. Everyone is wearing the same thing.

I walk up to the bartender, "Is there seating closer? Or a tv with a zoomed in view?"

"Yes, third floor."

"Thank you," I basically run out of the room and to the elevator.

When I get down there no one is there. I take a seat in the front row. Now I can tell who is who.

I search for Sage before finding him. But then he shows up in the tv. Not doing the same thing as he is down there. Everyone else that shows up is doing the same thing.  Oh shit.

Christian is down there.

Someone walks in. Marcus!

"Marcus, I need your help."

"That was quick," he rolls his eyes.

"How do I send stuff down there?" I frantically ask.

"Go to the first floor. Hand whatever is it you are giving to the people in the red clothes. The rest is done," he explains.

"Thank you."

I run to my room grabbing a paper and a pen. I write down everything I can.

"Christian is down there. Seventeen dead. Have an ally up here. Love you."

I run down to the first floor handing the paper to the people in red.

"Give this to Sage please."

They nod as the big sliding doors open. I look into the arena seeing nothing but big walls everywhere.

I head back upstairs.

***

Seventy five dead after the first day. Seventy five to go.

Sage is still alive. He has five kills. I don't know if he got my letter or not.

I watch the tv in my room. They play different angles of the arena. I search through them and analyze each players game play. After a while a I flip back to Sage and watch him.

He has stayed in this dead end corner for most of the game. Thankfully no alliance has tried to come attack him all at once. He sits down and pulls a paper out of his pocket.

His eyes widen before he nods. Good. He got it.

***

I do the same thing the next morning. Marcus doesn't come in this time. But the guy whose son is down there does. He stares at me and I pretend not to notice.

Seventy nine people dead. It's slow now. Not very many people are dying.

I watch Sage fight a couple guys but getting away. Multiple groups have attacked him but he lived.

My heartbeat is definitely at an unhealthy rate. I could suffer from a heart attack at any moment.

Someone sits down next to me.

"If you keep bouncing your knee. Everyone will target you," he says.

"I'm not even down there. How can they target me?" I ask.

"They will talk you into helping them. Ask for your money," he explains.

I don't have any- oh crap. I have a lot of money now.

I look over and see the man Sage said he is trying to make an alliance with.

"I'm Carmelo. Sage and I have been figuring out an alliance," he shakes my hand.

"Baylor."

"I won't lie. I was going to decline the alliance until I heard your story last night. I was most definitely eaves dropping. I couldnt help myself," he laughs a little, "I thought he was dumb and did random dumb shit. But it turns out he has a reason behind everything. I thought he was going to turn out like his brother." He makes an exasperated sigh.

"Gosh no. I would have ran away if he was anything like his brother," I roll my eyes.

"You've met his brother?"

"Yeah. He's down there too, actually."

"Oh shit," he sighs, "Time to hire an assassin. I can't look at that guys face for any longer."

Carmelo stands up and walks down to the red men. When he comes back up I watch as a red man goes out and murders Christian. Just like that. Done. Dead.

"Wow."

"Yeah. He didn't even put up a fight," Carmelo's British accent makes me laugh.