Chapter 4: Sudden Proposal

Gem's Pov

It was a work day again for me. I got prepared wearing a peach coloured dress. It was cup sleeved and knee length . It flared from my waist to my knees. I completed the look with three inch block heels. I was feeling happy today I didn't know why. It had been three days since I got a guard to drive me around and watch over me. His name was Swiss. He always used to offer me  a ride in the mornings but I declined time and again but now he was forced on me. I stopped having breakfast with my family it was always mockery after mockery.

Before I stepped out Maya handed me a lunch bag with my breakfast. I thanked her and stepped out to meet Swiss. He stood by the car in his black suit with a straight face.

"Good morning Swiss," I smiled at him.

"Good morning Ms Hunt," he responded opening the backseat of the car.

"Swiss I said Gem is fine," he nodded like every other time.

He drove us to my work and I met with gushing Lin. This was the first time she was seeing me stepping out of the car.

"What's up with the change girl?" She asked gasping in the process.

"So I can't dress now?"

"Gem news flash you're wearing heels and you are dressed so elegantly."

"I usually dress like this," I complained.

"For church," she added.

"So I can't dress this way anymore?"

"You look cute Gem you should dress like this more often but you need new styles for your hair," I rolled my eyes at her theres always gonna be but in a compliment.

She started detailing out more hair styles to me until I got to my class. Time with Lin was never filled with dull moments. She could make me smile one way or another. I accompanied her to her class and there after proceeded to the coffee room.

"So I was asked out by some guy," she started as we sipped on our coffee leaning against the counter top. "Apparently he has a reputation."

"What is he businessman? Painter? Model?"

"Drug dealer," she dead panned. I couldn't help but let out a chuckle so did she.

"I don't know why I never get such  decent guys to ask me out?!!" She whined.

"Well at least one of us is being asked out," I chuckled.

"Don't say that Gem you... maybe someone has been made specially for you to make you the happiest woman in the world."
"I don't know about that," I sighed.

"You watch and see."

Arya's Pov

Being a mother of ten was no easy task. My kids were all grown now the oldest being at the age of 29. I was now 49 but I  still strive to keep myself fit and healthy which makes me look a lot younger. I had a company to run with my husband and being able to handle stressful situations was important.

On this day I was working from home while my husband worked from the office with our sons Ace and Axel and our daughters Gwyneth and Raelle.
All my kids were making me very proud except for one. Gem. Though everyone said she got her looks from me there were many other things she did not get.
And she was very different from everyone.

I was taking a tour of the house to check  on the work the helpers were doing. I was nearing the kitchen when I heard the front door open

"Anybody home?!!" Came Eliza's voice. Eliza was my mother-in-law and apparently Gem's favourite person weirdly. Ever since Gem started to grow Eliza's attitude towards me started to change. We still talked, laughed and paid each other occasional visits but there was always that fat elephant in the room.