Chapter 22: Reception

Gem's Pov

I was Mrs. Lombardi. It kept replaying in my mind like it was almost not real.
Looking in the mirror one last time I blushed. All this was too good to be true. But I guess there was a reason God allowed it all to play out this way.

I stared at my dress one last time before I was picked up for the reception.
My dress was loose from the waist down and held my upper body in a way that i loved. The change of dresses was so unnecessary but my mother's insisted I change. I was now waiting impatiently to be reunited with Darius like we were long lost lovers.

Not so long after the thought occupied my mind than my dad walked into the room.
I turned away from the huge mirror so I could face him. He gave me a once over and smiled.
His eyes teared up and my face instantly dropped.

"Papa, is everything alright?" I asked.

"Looking at you in this moment in a pink dress reminds me of one time when you were dressed in the exact same colour as a little girl," he chuckled.
"I just can't remember where I put those pictures, but you looked like a princess, just like now, except now you're someone's queen......But remember if he doesn't own up to any of his vows you're free to come back home,"he added the last part solemnly.
"Come."
We hooked arms and he led us out of the room into the hallway.

"You know marriages are not always perfect, you will have diffences arising over even the most silliest things," he explained as we made our way into the elevator. "Sometimes he will upset you or you will upset him, but that's how it is. Your mum and i have had loads of such situations. That leads to uhhh...my grandkids, you have to create a very conducive environment if you wanna have kids you know, it's not easy, never has been honestly, your mum and I are an example. Don't be like us. "
"I have a feeling within me that tells me you and Darius are going to do well, in each and every aspect." He looked into my eyes and smiled like he missed out on something big.

The elevator doors went open with a ding and we were met with a partially empty lobby. Mother had booked a resort specially for the wedding reception which was another unnecessary aspect of this wedding. As we approached the spacious garden of the resort the noise became more apparent. I could now hear kids squealing with joy, chatter and laughter here and there till we finally got there. Before we could proceed and step inside the tent which was practically open, papa smiled and kissed my knuckles. We proceeded with hooked arms and just as my head raised to face forward the whole place went silent and it was like only him and I in the room. I could see the tiny smile that tagged at the corner of his lips. He slowly stood to his feet breaking us out of the little bubble. As papa led me he came from the opposite direction. We met at the centre where there was a makeshift dance floor.

Backing away slowly, papa, left my hand gently placed in Darius'. I smiled shyly already feeling the heat in my cheeks. He pulled me closer and I could here his chest vibrating and his warmth slowly radiating to me. His hands twined around my waist and I reluctantly placed mine around his neck.

"You're beautiful, " he uttered staring deep into my eyes. However, it felt as yhough he was looking into my soul. He meant it, I knew he meant it. I leant further into him placing my head on his chest and enjoying the sound of his heart beating. I felt safe, in his arms, in his presence, being his wife, it all felt safe, maybe to the world he was a big bad tall scary looking handsome man, but to me he was mine, my husband. I looked up initiating eye contact, and stared straight into those grey eyes with pride and joy.

"Okay okay, we get the point, you're newly married and inlove!" Someone spoke through the microphone. It was Giovanni.
"But...Please turn the lights back on and let's all have some fun please," we hadn't noticed the lights were deemed for some added effect. Darius shut his eyes holding the bridge of his nose at just the sound of Gio's voice.