Chapter 5: Sudden Proposal II

Gem's Pov

My day at work was quite different from the rest of my other work days. This was due to my youngest sibling's surprise appearance. He brought me lunch which was very thoughtful of him because at the moment Lin and I were hungry. He helped around the day care with the kids, packing up toys and even helped us take the kids to the park.
I appreciated spending more time with him at least I could say I was getting somewhere with him.

He got on well with Lin. They could pass as great buddies if first met. From the day care we went to get some burgers and ice cream. It was all fun and jokes until we passed by an animal adoption center and Hayes fell in love with a pup. He wanted it so badly but I reprimanded him because we needed the parents consent first.

Swiss was with us the whole time, mostly  watching me. When we got tired   we passed by Linnette's house to leave her and then we were driven to our own home.

The moment we got into our estate something seemed off but I continued to  talk to Hayes. Heading towards our porch I saw two other unknown cars parked there. Well most of the time I avoided the garage so I didn't quite know how many cars we had or their types. So they could have been ours but I didn't care either way. I knew for a fact that whoever the guest was didn't come for me.

"Did I ever tell you I once saw a ghost in the house but actually it was just Reina putting on that weird mask she puts on every night?" He asked and I laughed climbing up the porch."Lin is abit too wild though"

"But I like her she's a good friend is she down for young boys?" I didn't understand but I figured he was talking about the kids.
"Yes she really likes kids,"
"No Gem I meant- you know never mind,"
When we stepped inside we didn't expect a whole audience waiting for someone. I shifted on my two feet as they all looked up at us both. I wasn't used to this especially with my mum doing it. Instead of passing on greetings Hayes had to crack joke.

"This moment deserves some crickets," He laughed  making me chuckle.
"Good evening mother and father," I bowed alittle."Good evening," I saluted the four unfamiliar faces. Slowly moving to sit by my grandmother.

After arriving successfully I bent whilst sitting on the armrest to hug her.
"You should have told me you were coming over I would have come earlier to make you some food," I whispered but she simply rubbed my arm in a soothing manner.

"Gem," I heard my father call so I quickly got on my feet,"go freshen up and meet us in the study once you're done." Us. That was the one word tha5 stood. Why would I be meeting them all in the study. What was going on that it even included me?

I quickly freshened up and put on a green printed maxi dress with sandals. I made my way to the study and knocked softly. I heard a faint call and so I stepped in. I looked around the dimly lit room and spotted the four unfamiliar faces, my grandmother and my parents.
This was quite overwhelming as all eyes were dead set on me. I had to cast my head down to lessen the tension within me.

"Sit down Gem," my father said and I obeyed. I sat in front of him and my mother. She stood behind him like a pillar and at the moment she looked like a giant towering over me.

"I know you're wondering why we called you here," he started. "These people are the Lombardis," he gestured to the guests and I nodded. Something bad was going to come out of this and I knew it.

"Do you know these people or anyone from their family?" I shook glancing at the four faces. My Dad looked up at them triumphantly. "You see these people came here with a proposal for you," his lips formed a thin line.

"They want you to... marry their son. He is asking you for your hand in marriage, " my eyes became as wide as saucers. What was he saying? Maybe I probably didn't hear him right.