Chapter 28: Safe

Gem's Pov

Giovanni, Ace's friend, had me on the flight back home as early as possible with his pilot. He took care of all the business that required much of my paperwork. I was so grateful and now I was going home, my heart felt lighter now even though it hurt. It hurt that the man I chose put me to shame in such a way. The hickeys were still healing and at this point they looked purple like bruises.
I was currently looking at them in the mirror of the planes bathroom stol. I was dressed in a huge T shirt and a pair of leggings given to me by Giovanni. I spent the night at his house and he practically lived alone which made it questionable where the leggings came from. It dawned upon me that most Italian men were good looking without even trying. Giovanni made the list.

I moved out of the stol with a sigh only to be met with the flight attendant holding a tray in her hands. I really had no appetite since the previous day.
She placed it on the table and I thanked her before she bowed her head and left.
I sat down and tried to force some food down knowing it would be best for my health. I couldn't focus, every minute every hour my mind would wander back to the pressing matter and it would just break me on the inside.
The flight was long, about 8 hours, so I took some time to take a nap in the bed.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

"Ma'am, madam, " someone was calling from a distance. My eyes cracked open slowly and I could see the attendant trying to wake me up.
I sat up and rubbed the sleep from my eyes before I properly looked at her.

"The plane is about to land now, please get back to your seat and put on your seat belt, " she requested and I nodded.

I made my way back to the seat I occupied when the flight began and did as she said. I could hear the pilot speaking but I really couldn't register any of what he was saying.

Soon I was stepping out of the plane, no phone, no bags, no nothing. Just my body and the shambled pieces of my heart and brain. I went down the steps to meet the flight attendant that I thanked before looking around for my brother. He was just a few feet away standing by his famous black Mercedes that he bought with his own money, all Hayes.

I made my way towards him and to be honest I wasn't expecting much, just him to deliver me home. Instead when I made it to where he was standing he placed his hand on top of my head and messed my hair up a bit. Tears welled up in my eyes and he pulled me in for a hug, I guess now was the perfect time to cry.

"It's okay you're safe now," he whispered and I hugged him back still sobbing like a child.
"Shhh," he rubbed my back comfortingly. After a few more sobs I pulled away wiping my tears and trying to act composed with a pinched red nose and red eyes.

"Come on, let's get you home," he opened the passenger's door for me. I got in and he shut the door.
He joined me on the driver's side, he stretched to the back and passed me a hoodie. I whispered a small thank you before putting it on and buckling up my seat belt.

We drove in silence the whole way. During the drive everything started to hit me hard. Of course Reina would laugh that my marriage failed, of course my mother would say she told me so. All the family members would be on my neck and would obviously mock me. But most of all, it hurt that I was wrong. Wrong about a man I trusted with my life, my heart. My whole heart.

I sighed in sorrow covering my face trying not to cry again.

"Wanna talk about it?" I heard Ace ask but all I could do was stare out the window at the moving buildings with my teary eyes. 
"I know I haven't been the best brother for a couple of years now but I want you to know that I'm here, for anything, be it a shoulder to cry on, lean on, someone to talk to, or if you need anything at all, I'm here." I still remained silent.