Chapter 17: Christmas

Gem's Pov

The next day I was expecting some awkwardness at the table but nothing. Instead it was just questions being thrown at Gwyneth and her husband Brad. Brad was genuinely a nice guy, a nerd, so it was kinda weird when Gwyneth decided to marry him.

"So Gem...you're getting married. Are you elated?" He asked with a genuine smile. I looked at papa to see if he was making any expressions but he wasn't.

"Uhh- Yess," I responded with a small smile.

"It's good you are..."

"That's enough now baby, leave her be," Gwyn said to him.

"I was just-" she held up her hand and he shut up.

I wasn't going to stay at the table longer than expected. I had things to do other than sit around with them. I stood up excusing myself and went up to my room to involve myself in some other activities.
I sat on my bedroom floor leaning against my bed and facing the window. I was reading a book because I could seek refuge in it. My thoughts were all over the place and I couldn't help being emotional.

The day went on uneventful with a bit of noise here and there. It was Christmas so gifts would be coming in soon. I stayed in my room the whole day except meals and some other necessities. I didn't know why I was sad but I was.

Christmas came up quick and I had to leave as early as possible for church. The kids still needed me. I picked my sling bag and I was running out the house when I felt a hand pull me back. I was brought face to face with the person and it was an angry Axel.

"Where are you going?" He questioned sternly.

"To-to-to," I was pointing towards the door.

"To where Gem speak up. Gosh!" He sounded frustrated.

"To church, the kids are doing a play," I whispered and he slowly let go like realisation hit him. I still remained in my spot the whole time

"Well won't you be late?" He retorted so I quickly scurried off.

........

"Gemmy but where is Dari?" The kids asked as I touched up there little clothes.

"Uhmm Dari is au- busy," I lied.

"But it's Christmas, people don't work on Christmas," one of the little girls, Natalie,  countered.

Like on cue, I heard the announcement from inside the church.

"Hold up your role names," I led them inside but broke off to take a seat in the front row.

They started off well but there were a few hiccups here and there. It was still very good though. At some point Natalie stopped with a big bright smile to wave at someone but I didn't think much of it. At some other point our Joseph forgot his lines and had to ask for my help.

The play was finally over and the priest concluded the service.

"Gemmy," Natalie squealed jumping on me. I managed to catch her and she giggled joyously.
"You lied to us," her mood shifted.

"Lied about what little one?"

"Joseph." I was now confused.

"Which Joseph?"

"Your Joseph... Dari," she bounced in my arms. Darius. "He was there, he waved at me."

"He was?" She hummed and I put her down.
"I'll be back sweetie."

I ran to the parking lot hoping I'd be able to spot his car in the mass of cars. I didn't. I looked all around like a desperate pet owner. My eyes searched and I even wandered around for a bit but no sign of him. I guess I just had to wait till the party.