Chapter 27: Rage

Gem's Pov

I was counting weeks now. It had been exactly three weeks since Darius went off to do his mysterious works. I was getting tired of waiting, I was tired of being couped up in the big mansion. I wanted to go back home, I wanted to speak to Lin, to Hayes and the little kids from the day care. I was, however, grateful for nonno because he never missed a chance to make me smile or make me feel welcomed. I was again for the second time, this particular day, taking a walk around the house. they probably had a dozen secret rooms here, I wondered how many more I had in my family home. I found myself in the kitchen watching the house help as they did there work. I didn't bother offering my help because the head helper would deny me anyway saying I was the boss' wife.

"Would you like anything dear?" she asked and i shook with a smile. "Are you sure?"

"Yes I'm very sure Ines, don't worry yourself too much about me. I'm very fine."

"If you say so," she continued stirring up something on the stove.

After being seated for over 30 minutes I decided to move yet again but not without stealing one muffin Ines had baked.

"America," she called realizing what I had done and I run off quickly before she could catch me.

I came to the living room where I found a girl about the same age as me looking around in a mesmerized manner at everything. I couldn't blame her though, the house was beautiful. I cleared my throat and she skipped as she turned around to face me. You could tell she was Italian with thick brown hair a slightly graceful stature and tanned skin.

"Scusa..stavo solo aspettando la nonna," she spoke Italian and I was puzzled now. I was so used to everyone else in the house speaking to me in English. (Sorry I was just waiting for grandma). The only thing that I got from her statement was nonna and scusa.

"Uhm sorry I don't speak Italian," I responded and she seemed confused for a second. It was possible she didn't speak English either. "Stupid language barrier... uhh can I offer you some caffe?" I tried and she laughed.

"Don't bother yourself," she spoke in English. "I'm Eloise." She chuckled lightly.

"I'm Gem. So what brings you here Eloise?" I decided to ask.

"I just came to meet nonna, I have some things to talk about with her," she smiled to herself.

"It must be a very exciting thing you'll be talking about."

"Yeah...nonna is very calm and gentle and she's been so helpful over the years," she seemed really grateful. Even though nonna was always rude to me I knew deep down she was a kind hearted old lady.

"That sounds really nice, I haven't quite formed a bond with nonna yet."

"I'm very sure she'll warm up to you eventually... is she upstairs?"

"Uh no actually, she left some 2 hours ago to get something with nonno I think."

"Ohh," she glanced at her wrist watch, " I guess I can wait for a bit. Would you care to keep me company?"

"Sure, I have nothing important to do anyway."

"You know I love how nonna and nonno are still so in love even after so many years. I wish for something like that with my husband too." I agreed because it was true, as much as they stressed each other out they were still so deeply in love.

We decided moved to the backyard near the pool. For some reason Ines looked nervous all of the sudden and even as she served us drinks she tried to avoid making eye contact with me. What was going on here? Eloise was already acquainted to her so there was nothing to be awkward about. She seemed like another family member, except she was just a family friend.