Part Eleven. Another Chance

The following morning after their weird encounter on the roof, Y/N decided to arrive to work a few minutes earlier than usual. Brandy was always there nearly 30 minutes before it was time to clock in as she always liked getting stuff set in place before we started the day. Y/N thought this was weird. They'd just set it up on company time.

As they walked in, she was right where they'd expected her to be. Sitting in her chair, organizing her desk items. Too in the zone to even notice someone had walked in, Y/N did their best not to startle her. "Why do you do this every morning? You can just wait until we clock in, you know that right?"

Brandy jumped a bit and squinted her eyes, "I know that. I just like being here before everyone gets here so that I can have some quiet. Which you've clearly interrupted."

Y/N laughed. They'd also be bringing up a sensitive subject now, unfortunately. Luckily, they'd stopped by the coffee shop to grab her a bargaining tool. "Well I actually got here early to talk to you."

"What's up?"

They nervously sat down next to her. Bringing her into what's going on was the last thing they wanted to do, but it wouldn't happen again after this. "Have you talked to Yelena recently?"

"No, she's out on work orders. Not allowed to have her phone when she goes." She responded without looking up from her computer.

Their face sank a bit. It was helpful to know she wasn't ignoring them, but why wouldn't she say something before she left? It couldn't have been that hard to just send a quick text?

Brandy noted the silence and looked up, "She didn't tell you, did she?"

Y/N pursed their lips and shook their head. It was making more sense now, but it was still bothersome. If she didn't care to update them, they weren't sure how things would work out in the future.

Yelena was already rather reserved. They hadn't learned much about her but she knew many details about them. And now? She left without warning or explanation. How would this fare in the future if they got into a relationship? Would she always be closed off and mysterious? It's fun at first, but it would get disheartening after awhile.

"Don't get too upset over it. I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it." Brandy noted, laying her hand on theirs to offer some sympathy. "I'm sure you've noticed that Yelena isn't quite as... 'normal' I guess you could say."

"Yeah.. I've gathered that. Well, thank you for telling me. Better to know that than wonder." Y/N left her desk and headed to their own. Brandy knew there was nothing they could say to help, so she let them go.

Y/N wondered if they should text Yelena, if they should tell her to let them know when she's back. But they decided against it. She left without warning. If anything was to go further, it would have to be on her now.

It was disappointing, because they really enjoyed being with Yelena. She lit a fire inside them that they'd never felt before.

But they had something good growing with Kate, something stable. Speaking of, Kate had even texted them before they got to work this morning.

Kate
Good morning :) I hope
you have the best day.
Movie date tomorrow night,
right?

A small grin grew across their face as they read it. She was sweet, ridiculously sweet, and Y/N loved it. Something about Kate just made their whole being feel at ease...

But something was missing. They weren't sure what it was yet, but they hoped they'd find it soon.

Y/N
Good morning!! Yes, of
course. I'll have it all set
up and ready by 8 :)

They turned their volume and vibration off before setting their phone down. Each text they got, they'd hope was from Yelena, especially now that they knew she hadn't truly ghosted them. Better to just not feel anything at all than continuously keep guessing.

The day flew by and the weight that sat on their chest the past few days was luckily lifted. It was easier to enjoy the day now that they knew what was going on. Before Y/N left to head home, they stopped by Brandy's desk to ask one more question.

"How long do these work things last for Yelena?"

She looked up from her desk, shuffling papers to make sure everything would be in line for her the next day, "Never longer than a week from what I've experienced living with her."

Their eyebrows perked up, happy to hear she should be home soon. "So, maybe I'll hear from her soon?"

Brandy laughed, "I'll make sure she texts you when she gets home."

Y/N was thankful for such a friend. They were worried she might feel uncomfortable being in a middle situation, but she seemed okay. With that, they went on their way home.

The walk back was unusually long due to the aching cold. "Why didn't I move south, again?" they muttered quietly to themselves hunching their shoulders up to help warm their cheeks.

They made their way up the elevator, thinking of stopping to see Mariah but deciding to head home instead. The day hadn't been a waste. They'd figured out a lot about Yelena and got more work done than they had all week.

A date with Kate was just what they needed to finish the day off now. As they opened the door to their apartment, a figure loomed in the kitchen. Y/N shrieked an ungodly and embarrassing scream before calming down at the sight of who was there.

"How did you... how? What are you doing here?"

The woman strolled over and met them in the living room, "I thought I had some explaining to do."