Part Twenty-Two. Why Me

Y/N's eyes were burning holes in the board as they looked at Yelena's picture. They began scanning the rest of the screen. Below her picture stated, "World's deadliest child assassin, Yelena Belova."

Chills shot through their body. They couldn't believe anything that was going on. How could they miss so much about her? How could they have slept cuddled up right next to this woman just the night before? Tears were burning their eyes now as they finally looked down into their lap.

Nick continued, finally wrapping up and explaining everything. "The point is, Yelena had spent her time after taking down the Red Room freeing other Widows. Clint is under the impression that she's lost. Her sister is gone and she has no idea what to do with her life now."

Y/N looked up, "So, what are you saying?"

Maria Hill finally looked up from her computer and overflow of papers, "We believe that if Yelena truly wanted to finish her mission and take you out, she would have already. She's been close to you, in the same vicinity on multiple occasions. We can't seem to wrap our heads around why she hasn't finished the job yet."

They looked around, wondering if they should explain the whole situation. Maria's statement had them second-guessing everything. Was Yelena actually fond of them? Had she delayed her mission because she'd started caring about them?

"I need to step outside," Y/N stood from their chair and walked quickly out of the room and to the front door. Wanda was calling after them, but they needed to be away from everyone, away from the screen with Yelena's face plastered on it.

Once outside, Y/N fell to their hands and knees, gasping for air. Wanda was on their heels and quickly kneeled down next to them when they were down. Her hand stroked their back as they tried and tried to breathe.

"Help me.. again.. please," they begged. They felt like they were going to pass out without her doing whatever she did. Quickly, she pulled them up and wrapped her arms around their waist. Their arms fell over her shoulders while their breathing finally began to slow. Y/N's eyes closed as they relaxed, "Thank you."

"What's going on? Why are you so out of sorts over this? I thought you didn't even think it was real?" she asked as Y/N laid their head on her shoulder. The anxiety attack had taken them out and they felt exhausted now.

After a few seconds, they sat back. Wanda let her hands linger on their waist a second too long, but once again Y/N didn't notice. Their mind was too wrapped up in another woman. Wanda's eyes looked over their face, wondering what could have been.

If she'd just stayed instead of fleed. If she'd just come back and explained everything. She would've been able to protect them.

But with that, she would've never met Vision. She would've never had Tommy and Billy. It was hard for her to look at them and accept that the door on their past had closed. There was an urge bubbling in her to jut forward, to kiss them and hope that maybe they'd come around.

Maybe if they were together again, they'd stay at the compound. They'd be under even better protection. Her mind was fluttering with memories of them before she left. The night before when they'd been tangled in her sheets together, admiring each other in the moonlight that streamed through the cracks of her curtains.

As she looked at them now, she thought it was a perfect time. She leaned in, heading straight for their lips.

Oblivious, Y/N shifted to stand from where they were sat on the ground. Wanda fell through, missing their lips and almost tumbling down to land on her face. Y/N was pacing, ruffling their hair with their hands.

"Yelena... She.. Wanda, she is one of the girls I was telling you about," They finally said.

Her eyes widened, "Wait, what?"

Their head shook. How would anyone believe that she was contracted to murder them but had nearly been in their pants last night? "I was with her last night. Hell, she might still be in my apartment right now. She's the one I told you about, the one who disappeared for a few days."

"What are you saying, Y/N?"

Y/N's hands pulled at their hair now. What were they saying? How could this make any sense? "I think Maria was right. There's a reason she hasn't taken me out because if I'm being honest, she had a perfect opportunity last night."

Wanda's hands covered her nose and mouth as she took in the information, "Oh my god, Y/N. I told you to be careful! What the fuck were you doing having a stranger in your apartment during all of this?!"

Their face scrunched up in confusion and anger, "Who the fuck are YOU to tell me who I can and can't have in my apartment, Wanda?"

"Someone who cares about you, you fucking idiot!" She stood from where she had nearly fallen just a few moments ago. "I TOLD you that someone had a target on you and what did you do? You invited a woman that you know nothing about into your damn apartment. Honest to god, how can you be that stupid?"

The arguing that had ensued when they almost dated years ago was back and stronger than ever. Y/N had years of anger stacked and ready to go, "She wasn't a stranger! We'd gone on dates. We'd done stuff together. We-"

"She left you high and dry for a whole week. You had one date. This is just pathetic, Y/N. Honestly," She shook her head.

Their head nodded, fury taking over, "Fuck you, Wanda." They began walking away from her until her voice stopped them.

"No, fuck YOU, Y/N! I'm here trying to take care of you, to keep you safe and what do I get in return? THIS?!" She was yelled now, hands flailing as they used to in college when she was drunk and upset.

Y/N was pointing their finger at her now, "I didn't ask for shit from you! Clearly, if Yelena had wanted to do anything she would've by now. At least SHE came back. At least SHE explained why she fucking left me. Something you were never brave enough to do."

Wanda bit the inside of her cheek. That jab from Y/N hurt more than she'd expected. Now, she was rethinking the entire argument.

"Wanda," they huffed, trying their best to calm themselves but still feeling their blood boiling, "You don't deserve anything from me. You left. You left without warning, explanation. I don't care if you continued watching me. I don't care if you still thought about me every day. You left me."

Tears were building in the corners of her eyes now, "Y/N... I-"

"No. We're done here, Wanda. Leave me alone. Go back to whatever the fuck you were doing before and leave me alone." They made their way over to the sedan again and stepped inside. Within seconds, it was pulling off the property.

Wanda was left standing in front of the building when Clint jogged out to meet her. "What the hell, Wanda? You weren't supposed to let them leave!" Finally seeing her face and the tears streaming down, his eyes shot open, "Wanda, what-"

She lifted her hand to stop him and walked back inside. Back in the conference room, she wiped the tears and cleared her throat, "Meeting over. Y/N is gone."

Nick shook his head, "Why did you let them leave, Maximoff?"

"I'm not in control of what they do. They aren't fond of me. They don't even want to be around me anymore." She wiped under her eyes.

Maria looked at Wanda before glancing back up to Nick, "Maybe we can have someone meet with Yelena?" She looked over, "Clint? Would you be willing?"

He took his worried eyes off Wanda and met Maria's, "What?"

"Would you be willing to meet with Yelena and sort this out?" she repeated.

He looked around the room. Meeting with Yelena would be helpful and bringing Kate would be a great idea as well. The two had successfully helped her relax about Natasha. Maybe they could save her from this insane contractor as well.

"Yes. I'll bring Kate Bishop and we'll figure this all out. She and I will head out tomorrow."