Part Twenty-Three. Make Up

Y/N
Crisis averted. Can I take you
to dinner and then make up
for running out?

Yelena opened the text, surprised to see them heading back so soon. She'd finally made her way back to Brandy's apartment and was laying on her own bed. The conversation she'd had with Kate was on repeat in her head.

Y/N is innocent. What was she doing? Kate was right. Natasha would never have wanted this kind of life for her. She'd worked for SHIELD, for the Avengers. She gave her life so that everyone could have theirs back.

And here was Yelena, working for a contractor that sent her after innocent civilians.

Yelena
Yes, please. I can't wait to see
you.

She smiled at her phone before laying it back on her chest. A knock sounded from her bedroom door, "Come in," She answered.

"Hey," Brandy said quietly, "You okay?"

"I couldn't be less okay," her hands rose to cover her eyes, "I'm so fucked, Brandy. I don't know what I'm going to do."

She made her way to sit next to Yelena on the bed, "What do you mean?"

"I can't finish this mission. I can't do it."

Brandy's eyes widened. She'd never known Yelena to not finish something she'd set out to do, "Why not?"

"Because..." Yelena trailed off. She hadn't told her that Y/N was the target this time. As far as Brandy knew, it was a random person that was actually deserving of death. Not her coworker that she was genuinely fond of. "It's Y/N. My target..."

"Excuse me, WHAT?!" Brandy's voice rose, "What do you mean Y/N is your target?! Aren't you two dating? What is- What?"

She shook her head, "No. We're not dating but... we're close? I don't know. Apparently, they're talking to someone else too so I don't know. I'm so fucked, Brandy."

Still not over the fact that Y/N was even the target to begin with, Brandy sat up straighter, "Why didn't you tell me that they were the target?"

"Because they were your friend. I knew you'd try to stop me," she answered, "But now it doesn't even matter."

"It doesn't?" Brandy echoed back.

Yelena laughed lightly under her breath at the predicament she'd set herself in. "No, it doesn't. Now, I'm falling for someone I was contracted to fucking murder. Someone who also might be falling for someone else that isn't me. How the hell did I get here?"

Brandy laughed a little too. Y/N had explained the situation just a little bit while at work, but not enough to give a ton of insight on, "If it's any consolation, I don't think they're talking to her because they want to be with them. You left for a week without explanation. They probably felt like they had to follow through with the other girl."

The other girl, she thought. How she and Kate were now pining after the same person was beyond her. "Should I talk to them about it tonight?"

"Do you want to?" she asked.

Yelena thought hard. Did she want to know? Kate had said they weren't anything... yet. She wanted to be, but what if Y/N didn't see it like that? "I don't know..."

"How serious do you think you two are?"

"Uh..." she tried to think, "I don't know. I've only stayed once and we had that week that I disappeared. Not serious at all, I'd say."

Brandy nodded, contemplating the different kinds of advice she might give her. She'd felt better now about the mission situation now that she saw how much Yelena had openly cared about Y/N.

"Maybe wait it out? See if Kate just falls off on her own. Like I said, you were gone for a week and just came back last night."

"Right.. right. Thank you."

Brandy offered her a smile before Yelena stood and got ready for dinner. She slipped into some jeans, threw on her black fur jacket, and threw her hair up. Brandy helped her with her makeup and before they knew it, Y/N was knocking at their door.

While Yelena finished up with some jewelry, Brandy let Y/N in and showed them around. They'd sat on the couch for a few minutes before Yelena came out from her room.

It didn't matter what she wore, her beauty always took them by surprise. "God, you are stunning." They held out the bouquet of flowers in their hand, "These are for you. The beginning of my apology."

Brandy squinted, wondering what the beginning of an apology meant but Yelena grinned. She knew exactly what they were insinuating. Y/N had winked with the eye opposite of Brandy, reminding her of their promise.

She took their arm in hers and led them out the door.

"Be safe! Don't do anything I wouldn't do!" Brandy yelled down the hall.

Yelena laughed, "That's a small list!" She looked back, winking.

Y/N smiled and leaned down to whisper, "I hope seeing your clothes on the floor of my bedroom isn't on that list."

Her mouth dropped a bit before she grinned and leaned over to whisper in their ear, "Anything to do with you naked is off the list."

They coughed a bit, her boldness taking them by surprise as always. Stepping into the elevator, Yelena pulled them in as the door closed. Being on the top floor of a thirty-story building gave her more than enough time to tease them.

She pulled them to her and spun, pinning them against the elevator wall. Kissing up their neck while her hands slid under their shirt. Y/N lost their breath. Everything they'd just learned about her flew out the window. All they could think about was what she was doing now.

The elevator dinged on each floor. They were now passing level twenty. Twenty more floors to go.

She slid her hands down to the top of their pants and ran her finger under the waistline. Y/N's breath hitched, garnering a smile from her. Slowly, she began sliding it further and further under.

"Yelena..." they breathed quietly. Her finger was tracing the crease where their leg met their torso. Their back bowed slightly.

The ding of the tenth floor sounded. Ten floors left to go.

She thought about sliding her whole hand in. She'd wanted them right then and there. But instead, she continued kissing their neck and lining the crease of their leg with her finger. Y/N's head fell back as they let her do whatever she wanted, just as they promised.

Finally, the ding sounded and they were on the bottom floor of the apartment building. Yelena released her hand and stepped back quickly. Y/N tried to reorient themselves and were thankful the lobby was empty when the pair stepped out of the elevator.

Looping her arm in theirs as the two stepped, she licked her bottom lip, "Sorry about that." She smiled proudly to herself.

Y/N nodded, knowing what was bound to come. "No need. I'll be sure to get you back."