Part Thirty-Three: What Next

Kate
Yeah, I'm okay. Just got lost in an
idea. No worries.

They didn't believe her, but they didn't want to push the subject. Kate had left not long after the two fell asleep. They'd only laid there about an hour before Kate up and left for her own room. She knew that staying in there with them would only lead to things she would regret.

Like telling them how she felt or making a move that she knew would not be reciprocated. Which she realized actually turned out to be the best decision for her because once they'd met up for breakfast that morning, Y/N had spoken with Clint about everything Yelena had said to him. Once he explained her thoughts and intentions, they were all in.

Y/N finally felt sane for once. They'd known she was really falling for them and that they weren't just imagining things. Kate's heart panged with pain when she watched the smile light across their face at their conversation with Clint.

Once she was back to reality, the meeting continued. Everyone had gathered around the same table where they first informed Y/N about Yelena's mission. Clint was going over everything he knew about Widows. Their training, their serums, the red dust, the Red Room itself, and even Dreykov. Everyone was informed of the entire history in order to better understand what was going on.

"The only issue is that I have no idea who she's working for. Natasha had told me they did finally take down the Red Room together, but maybe not? Maybe Dreykov escaped again? I have no idea," he scratched the back of his neck, trying his best to sift through all possibilities.

Fury stood from his seat, "Maximoff must know something since they are all after her."

A visible lump shifted down Wanda's throat. Though they'd been after her for years and taken so much from her on the way, no one had ever been told who or even why this was happening.

Y/N turned in their seat to see her demeanor. Her eyes glued to the table, probably processing everything and trying her best to figure out how to explain everything.

"They're HYDRA, but a specific branch. When I worked with them, they had begun branching off and working with the Red Room. I'm assuming whoever contracted her had worked with her before as well. They knew what she was capable of and knew there must be nothing else for her after being freed."

Most eyebrows were raised in the room, but a few were not surprised. Wanda had made a significant turnaround since her time with the Avengers began. They knew her past and most could not judge, especially Clint himself.

Y/N, though, was completely thrown off. This branch was who she'd worked with when she left them? What could have possibly drawn her into them? The Wanda they knew, even the Wanda they know now, would've never agreed with something like that...

Without any other questions for Wanda, they continued their conversation on Yelena. Wanda would be there for support and to help provide guidance.

"Maximoff, we'll set you and Y/N up with Maria Hill to start more research on that branch," Fury stated as he flipped through his stack of papers.

Clint sat forward slightly, confused at the statement, "Y/N? How are they supposed to help her?" He looked over at them, worried, "Sorry, I don't mean anything bad by that. You just... are the only one without any training or experience."

Hands up, they laughed, "I take no offense. Even Yelena has more experience with this shit than I do. It's just the opposite end, unfortunately. But for what it's worth, I don't understand why I'm being used either. How would I help?"

Y/N was unsure how they would even be a part of this. They'd thought that they would just be around while it all happened. The Avengers would keep them safe here, but never expect anything of them. Apparently, that was incredibly incorrect.

"Multiple reasons," Fury started, "One, we need you to be aware of what is going on there in case you need to be the one to talk Yelena down. Two, we did our research on you as well. We know that you haven't always been too happy with the Avengers and have gone to many different lengths when you were younger to rally against them."

A knot stuck in their throat. Y/N should've known they would've learned about what they did as a teenager, but they didn't think it would come back to bite them in the ass now.

It was true, Y/N didn't like the Avengers. Sitting in this room now was really only bearable because they knew they were being protected. It didn't take away from the fact that they could see the memory of the day they lost Gianna vividly as they looked around at those at the table. Most Avengers who were there that day were gone now. Tony, Natasha, and Steve had all passed away. Thor was off-world.

Only Clint and Bruce were left, but Bruce was the biggest sting of them all. He had been the one that threw the car, crushing Gianna between it and the building behind her. Y/N couldn't bear to look at him for longer than a few seconds. Each time they tried, their vision went blurry from the anger that was boiling inside.

When they finally looked away from Nick after his statement, they were able to see that everyone had eyes on them. Instead of making a scene out of it, they nodded. "Got it."

Praying no one would stick on that statement from Fury, Y/N looked back to him to keep going. Luckily, he trucked on with the rest of the assignments for the mission. Most already had theirs and were told to continue forward with them, except Clint and Kate. They were given a new assignment. "Barton and Bishop, you'll be out scouting to see where they took Yelena. If she is anything like her sister, there's a heart there that can change and that would be at home here. So let's get her home."

Y/N felt their eyes burn at the closure of his statement. Home.

All they wanted now was a chance to have a real shot with Yelena. If the Avengers could pull through with this, if they could bring her home, maybe they'd get it.