Part Forty. Revival

"Any updates today?" Clint asked the two women as they walked into the kitchen.

Kate and Wanda had spent the majority of the past week together while Y/N was in the medbay. Wanda was able to help and learn more about her healing abilities. She wasn't sure what she did, but she knew that it cleaned up what Yelena had stabbed.

Bruce was able to get them stable as she did that, but they hadn't woken since. No one had realized how big the knife was that Yelena used, slicing into Y/N's stomach, intestines, and knicking the bottom of their lung. It would be a while before they recovered.

Wanda and Kate took time going in separately the first two days before finally just sitting in there together. They learned more about each other as they talked about how they even knew Y/N. Wanda reminisced on their time in college while Kate explained how she was best friends with their sister, Mariah.

"Nothing new. Still out, but still stable thankfully. Any updates on Yelena?" Kate had worked relentlessly this week on releasing the anger she held toward her. It wasn't Yelena's fault, but it was difficult to let go. Wanda, on the other hand, had continued on with her anger. Kate had talked her down from going to see Yelena in her cell multiple times.  

He let a long breath go, "She hasn't talked much since she'd been in the cell. She answers our questions but she's out of it. I can't imagine how she feels, honestly."

The truth was that Yelena didn't have anything to say. How could she? What she'd done the week before was unforgivable, even if it was while she was under control. She couldn't shake it.

As each day passed while Y/N lay in the medbay and Yelena was forced to stay in the cell, she began recalling more and more of the situation. By the end of the week, she was able to see the entire fight between her and Y/N. It was as though she was outside of her own body watching someone else that had stolen her identity.

It caused issues with her sleeping, but that wasn't helped by the stay in the cell as Bruce and Clint spent days trying to see if she was a threat. Clint hoped that Bruce would clear her this afternoon because he knew she was no threat to anyone but herself and those who put her under that control. His only fear was that they'd do it again if they caught her.

And what if they did? Would they ever get her back? What if they lost her again and then had to take her out after she finally finished the mission she was given with Y/N? It was something that rang in his head for the entire past week.

"I'll go talk to her," Kate spoke up finally. 

Wanda's eyes shot over, squinting as her eyebrows pinched together, "Why?"

"Because she's not a bad person. It wasn't her and I know that," Kate replied. Truly, over the past week while Y/N was in the medbay she'd begun feeling... something. She couldn't quite put a finger on it, but every time Wanda looked at her it spiked a bit higher.

She wasn't sure if Wanda felt the same way or if it would even be weird to ask. The person they both had feelings for lay in the bed before them, barely alive. How could she be looking at their ex the way she is?

Kate shook it off, knowing that she needed to get over it. "Do you want to come with me?" She asked, hoping that seeing and talking with Yelena would be helpful enough for Wanda to see that she wasn't a danger.

Wanda had a big tie in the Avengers. Her word mattered loads more than Kate's and Kate knew that. Clint did as well, but if the two of them banded together and spoke with Nick, maybe she'd be freed.

"I'm okay, I'll stay up here," Wanda stated, looking back down to the food she'd prepared that sat in front of her.

Without another word, Kate nodded and made her way below to the cells. She'd never been there before, and going alone was a bit scary, but she knew it was what she needed to do. Yelena and Kate had really hit it off before all of this. Something about the two had always drawn together.

It was like they were meant to be best friends. She knew it and she knew that if she truly cared about Y/N, getting Yelena the help she needed was exactly what had to be done. 

Kate weaved through the halls trying her best to find the specific cell they'd played Yelena in. After nearly giving up, she finally rolled up to the large glass door to Yelena's cell.

The site of her was devastating. Yelena was given a bed and items to make her feel more comfortable, but when Kate arrived she was curled up on the floor. She understood, sometimes the cold floor felt better when she was sad but this was heartbreaking. The idea of having to live through what she had was too much to even imagine.

She hesitated for a second before knocking on the glass. To her surprise, Yelena didn't budge. She knocked again harder. No movement.

Part of her began to worry. Had Yelena done something brash and no one caught it? She slammed on the glass even harder this time, praying that she'd at least move an inch this time. Kate waited for a second but still saw no movement.

As she turned to get help, she saw a tiny movement and turned back. Yelena had slowly begun to sit up with her back still turned to the glass door. Kate could see how her back rose with a deep breath.

She rose her hand to knock gain, but Yelena finally made her way to her feet and turned to face the door. There was no expression on her face as she walked over. It was emotionless for a completely different reason than it had been before.

As a Widow, it was easy to keep a stoic face, but this was different. She was void of emotions because if she allowed herself to think about them, she wasn't sure what she would do. It terrified Kate, but it was also good to see her up.

"Hi," Kate spoke.

Yelena nodded in response, unable to form words.

"I wanted to come talk with you about everything," she added.

Kate watched as Yelena's shoulders shrugged and her hands waved out, "There's not much to talk about, Kate Bishop. You know what I did. I know what I did. I don't really feel like talking about it when there's nothing left to question anyway."

Yelena started walking back to the bed but stopped abruptly when Kate spoke up, "This wasn't you and you know that. I know that. We all do. I came down here to get you out."

"Out?" Yelena looked back at Kate over her shoulder, "I don't think that's safe right now. We all know what would happen if I left." Her head stayed slanted down to her shoulder.

"What would happen, Yelena?" Kate asked, unable to think of anything Yelena might do that would genuinely harm anyone.

A small smile crept across her face as she looked back up to Kate over her shoulder, "I would murder every single person who had a hand in making me do this. Wanda included."