Part Forty-One. Missed You

"I need to talk to Y/N," Kate busted through the medbay doors when she heard that they'd finally woken up. It'd been another week since Kate had talked with Yelena and she'd been itching to get to Y/N finally.

Bruce held his hand up on the door, blocking her from entering. He'd told everyone that Y/N would need a day or two after waking up to reorient themselves. Being out like they were for two weeks took a toll on the body. He didn't want to risk anything else happening to them that might be out of their control.

"Kate, I already talked to you all about this. You can't come down here yet," he kept his arm firmly on the door.

Her eyes glared up at him, trying their best not to bulge out. Not only did she need to speak to them about Yelena, but they needed her. They needed someone. Being alone in that room wasn't right after this. She knew they wouldn't want that.

Kate's smirk threw Bruce off. He didn't know much about her but knowing how young she was, was enough. Before he could even blink, her wrist slammed down on the pit of his arm and she was through the door. He did his best to pull her back through, but she was too determined. Her strength doubled.

As she stepped through, the light of the room finally laid on her eyes. It took a second for her eyes to adjust to the brightness, but when they did all the feelings flooded in.

Y/N sat on their bed, staring out the window at two birds that were jumping around on a limb. It took a few seconds for Kate to process it all before she realized the window wasn't real. Tony had created a massive window wall that was actually a television. She'd remembered Pepper talking about it whenever they'd come down together one day to check on Y/N.

Normally, Kate had sat with Wanda but that day she'd been out on a mission helping the crew find those who'd taken Yelena in again. Though she spent every day with Wanda, she still couldn't bring herself to tell her what Yelena had said about her. She'd thought she was finally getting through to Wanda and making her understand that none of this was really Yelena's fault.

Unfortunately, no matter how hard she tried, Wanda's stubbornness prevailed. She refused to see it that way and was convinced that Yelena needed to be taken out. Clint and Wanda had taken the day to go snoop around a bit more and Kate had begged him to speak with her a bit more. 

"Just talk some sense into her, please. I know she loved Nat. Something there has to help us out. I can't risk losing the two of them and then having to watch Y/N lose them as well," She pleaded as he got ready to head out to the car where Wanda was waiting for him.

He nodded before heading out the door, "I'll do my best. You know how she is, but I'll do my best."

Kate pulled back from those thoughts to finally see Y/N look over at her. The smile on their face was brighter than the room itself and she couldn't help but feel the tears welling up in her eyes. They looked amazing, almost as though nothing had happened whatsoever.

"Are you going to get over here and hug me or do I need to hurt myself trying to get up and give you one?" They smirked, jokingly pushing themselves up in bed before wincing.

"Don't you fucking dare!" She laughed, bolting across the room and sliding into the bed next to them to wrap her arms around their neck. Y/N's body felt warm, relaxing Kate as soon as she sank into them. It wasn't until that moment that it all started to hit her.

She did have feelings for them, she was attracted to them, but laying here was like a wake-up call for her. Y/N was more of a best friend and always would be. Maybe that's all they were ever meant to be, but she wouldn't take back anything it took to get here. 

As she realized that, her memories of Yelena in the cell started coming back. She tried to determine if now was the right time to have that conversation. Kate had checked on Yelena periodically throughout the week, but nothing more was said. The last thing she'd heard her say was asking if Y/N had woken up yet.

Kate leaned back, smiling at Y/N's lively and energetic face. She'd missed this more than words could explain, but was completely taken back when Y/N started leaning forward. Their eyes focused on her lips as they leaned in closer and closer.

"Y/N," she spoke trying to get their attention. They didn't look up but continued forward. "Y/N, what are you doing?"

They smirked, "What does it look like, Kate?" She watched how their eyes looked at her hungrily. Something was off and it was terrifying her. Kate knew how they felt about Yelena and she couldn't imagine that this would've changed anything.

Sure, she stabbed and nearly killed them but Y/N knew better than anyone that Yelena wasn't in control then. It wasn't really her doing that. Even now, she couldn't imagine that the first thing they'd do as they woke would be going to kiss Kate.

Their lips were close enough now that Kate could feel their breath on hers. She knew they were friends, she knew that she didn't want anything more with them, but something about them always drew her in.

They began closing in more and more before Kate finally snapped, "No." She laid her hands on their shoulders, steadying them where they were as she leaned back. Y/N's eyes squinted, confused as to why Kate wouldn't want to kiss them.

"What about Yelena?" Kate finally asked, knowing something had to have been off. They were head over heels in love with her. The idea of them possibly betraying her now, after everything they'd been through to get to her was unheard of.

Their eyebrows furrowed and eyes searched the room as they took in Kate's question, "Who?"