Part Thirty-One: Last Night

"Go away," Y/N yelled, throwing the pillow over their head as they flipped toward the wall. The first night they'd spent at the compound had been full of constant tossing and turning. 

More knocking sounded, "GO. AWAY." They yelled louder this time, pushing the pillow over their ears. Whoever it was opted to ignore their request as they heard the door creak open. "Are you fucking serio- oh."

They stopped as Kate's sympathetic face poked through the door, "I'm sorry. I know you said to go away, I just wanted to come and check on you."

Y/N sat up a bit and stretched their arms out over their head. As Kate stepped in a bit further, they remembered that they had actually fallen asleep as she was holding them last night. "When did you leave last night?"

Kate shifted her head back and forth, cracking it as she remembered last night's events. Y/N had fallen asleep on her chest, face tucked into her neck, and arms wrapped tightly around her torso. They'd been so tired that they hadn't stirred even slightly when she left.

But her memory was flooding with the way she traced circles on their arms while they slept in hers. She was reminded of the way they pulled her closer in the night and the pain she felt knowing they would rather her be someone else at that moment. At one point, she'd even pulled back to look over their face as they slept.

Y/N was knocked out cold for hours that night after having such an eventful day before. She looked over their face as it sagged while they slept. Her fingers traced lightly across their cheek and traced down over their bottom lip. Not even that had woken them.

She placed her finger under their chin, surprised when they'd opened their eyes slowly at looked at her. The room was still dark, hard to see in. Y/N smiled as they leaned forward, placing a kiss on her lips. Though she knew she shouldn't have, Kate leaned in and allowed Y/N to do whatever was on their mind.

Their hand traveled up under her shirt and she shuttered as their thumb passed lightly over her skin. Her lips parted slowly, allowing them to suck in her bottom lip and bit gently.

She wanted to stop. She knew they were half asleep. Whatever they were doing, they'd regret in the morning. Whether it was because she was just there or because they thought she was someone else, she couldn't stop.

The feeling of their lips on hers drew her in each time and the wandering of their hands sent her mind even further away. She pulled her hand up to the side of their face, brushing her thumb against their cheek before resting it on the side of their neck. 

"Kate?"

Now she was back in the present, out of those memories of the night before. Looking over Y/N's demeanor, they must not have remembered any of it. "Yes, sorry."

"Are you okay?" they asked again, watching as she closed the door behind her.

She cleared her throat, "Do you remember anything from last night?"

The smooth space between their eyebrows creased in confusion, "What do you mean? I know the stuff that happened with Yelena and that we got here. After that, we fell asleep in here. Right?" Now they began questioning their own sanity. Did all of that actually happen? Was this a fever dream?

Kate stepped closer, eyes focused on the floor and contemplating whether or not she should tell them what happened. It must not have meant anything to them if they didn't remember.

She made her way over and sat on the bed next to them, finally raising her eyes to meet theirs, "So you don't remember anything after we fell asleep?"

Their lips fell down and eyebrows shot up, "No?"

"You um... Shit okay. I don't know how to explain this then. You... you kissed me last night."

Now their eyes were as wide enough to nearly dry them out, "What?"

She nodded before continuing, "You kissed me.. and I know I should've stopped it. I know that, but I just fell into the heat. You know how it gets with us... You can't tell me that you don't feel that."

They just looked at her, nervous for whatever might come next.

Kate cleared her throat again, "If you're worried that we slept together, don't be." She watched as their shoulders fell slightly, a sign of relief. "You eventually just stopped and fell back asleep."

"Are you okay?" Y/N asked, catching Kate off guard. They knew what they'd done wasn't okay. The issue with Kate was never their attraction to her. Truthfully, they were surprised that in whatever state they were in last night, they hadn't gone and done the whole deed. They'd certainly thought about it once or twice, and were even contemplating it now that everything with Yelena was up in the air.

Her shoulders shrugged, "Yeah, I guess?" One eyebrow quirked up before they nodded down, questioning without words. "I don't know, Y/N. I... what am I supposed to say? I have feelings for you. I want.. this. What happened last night, I want that. I want it all the time."

They rolled their head around on their neck, trying their best to figure out how to go about this. The night they'd had with Yelena was wonderful. The time they spent in the car, the conversations they had over dinner. Y/N wanted to trust her, but what if all of that was really part of the ploy?

She still hadn't come clean about it even after they'd fessed up about Kate. Looking around the room, their body started heating up. Maybe Yelena was always playing them. Maybe everything she'd always said was a set up.

And now? Looking at the person across from them, the way her blue eyes sank, they couldn't resist. Maybe they'd regret it later... but that was a problem for later.