Part Thirteen. Please Explain

Y/N felt their hands begin to shake a bit. How they were being targeted because of someone they knew years ago was beyond them. Someone they'd shoved so far down that they never even thought about.

"Then what am I supposed to do? I can't just uproot my life. I have a job, I have my sister, I have..." they trailed off. What was Kate? What was Yelena? They had no clue what to even call them.

Wanda's eyebrow lifted a bit, questioning their silence, "I have friends. I can't just leave."

She tried to sympathize, but to Wanda, life seemed more important. Their human life. Their beating heart and ability to stay on earth. That meant more than anything Y/N noted.

"Wanda... I'm finally starting to feel again. You remember, Gianna?" Y/N looked away, doing their best to conceal all the feelings they were having.

Wanda quietly responded, "Yes. I remember you telling me about her."

Her heart sank at the name. Part of the reason Y/N despised Wanda so much was how quickly she left after they opened up about Gianna. They'd only been an item for a month when Y/N was comfortable enough to share the hardest thing they'd ever gone through with her.

A week later, Wanda stirred an argument that ended it all. Within the next 24 hours, she was gone for good. Y/N didn't hear from or see her again until she stood in their apartment.

"I met two people, Wanda. I mean, I haven't talked to anyone since you left and now I have two people in my life that make me want to open up again. They make me want to try, to not be afraid."

Wanda smiled. She walked over to the edge and sat, "You've heard stories about me since I left, I presume?" She asked, seemingly changing the subject.

Y/N nodded, slightly irritated in the change, "Probably the most recent is about Westview?"

Their eyes opened wide remembering all they heard. Wanda had taken a town hostage out of rage and brain washed all of their people. They heard she killed SHIELD agents and even more.

Y/N tried their best not to believe it all. The news was biased and often hated the Sokovian woman.

"I fell in love with a man..." she started, choking on the last word. "I had two kids with him. Then, because of Thanos, I lost him."

"But Bruce brought everyone back with the snap, didn't he?"

Her eyes welled up, "Yes, but no. My love wasn't taken by the snap. Thanos killed him himself."

Y/N walked to where Wanda sat, kneeling in front of her to hold her hands, "I'm so sorry Wanda. I had no idea." Their anger with her was not strong enough to keep them from consoling her.

"We both moved on, Y/N. I'm so thankful for that and I promise I'm not here to take you away from them. A lot of Westview had to do with my grief and loss of the best things I'd ever had. I still care for you, so much. I don't want anything happening to you either."

They rubbed their eyes, trying to rid them of the tears forming as they listened to Wanda talk about the horrors she'd experienced. Before they'd become an item, Wanda and Y/N were friends. Best friends, as a matter of fact. They met in their freshman year of college and didn't try pushing anything until they were seniors.

Y/N still cared for her deeply and were thankful her feelings for them were gone. As they looked at her, they knew they'd be unable to break her more if she still cared for them in that way.

"Tell me about these girls," she asked, pinning the subject back on them.

They laughed, "Where to begin? One I met at a coffee shop. We had a grand day. Something about her lights a fire in me. I think about her all the time."

Wanda smiled, "Well how you talk about her, I'm surprised to hear there's anyone else!"

"Well, sadly she hasn't talked to me since. Her cousin says she's out on work but I don't know." Y/N drifted off as they remembered.

Wanda noticed but quickly brought them back, "So who's the other lucky lady?"

They smiled a bright smile this time, "Her name is Kate. She's my sister's friend. The sweetest thing I've ever met. Being around her is like being around sunshine 24/7..."

Wanda waited for Y/N to continue, but caught on rather quickly, "but..."

Y/N looked up, "But what?"

"You ended that as though you were going to give a 'but' statement. Is there something missing?" Her head fell to the side quizzically.

They were surprised she'd caught that. Even more surprised that she was right. There was a but, they just weren't sure what it was. Kate was beautiful, funny, smart, caring, outgoing. So why was there any hesitation?

Why could they not let go of the woman who dropped off the face of this earth and just put their time and effort into someone who clearly was all about them? Kate was consistent. Yelena was... anything but.

"I don't know. I think I just don't know what's going on with the other one and until I get that figured out, I'll just continue having this 'what if' feeling." They finally answered.

Wanda thought for a second. She wanted to tell them to leave Kate be. If they weren't all for her right now, they'd be doing her a disservice, but she could tell they really cared for her. Wanda knew if the time came that she'd tell them, but for now she'd listen.

"Tell me more about them!" She smiled.

Y/N finally perked up and relayed all the dates to Wanda. They explained how they met both of them and how Yelena had ghosted them. They told her how Kate had set up this wondrous movie night in.

As they spoke, Wanda smiled so largely that she'd thought her jaw might break. Seeing them so happy was all she'd dreamed of since she left. She just hoped neither of the girls would break them the way she had.