Part Twenty-Nine. Look Who's Back

Clint's 1970 Dodge Challenger rolled up to the front of the Avenger's compound where the last person that Y/N wanted to see was standing out front awaiting their arrival. When Kate saw her standing there, she turned back in her seat to see how they were with seeing Wanda again. Their face told more than they needed to explain.

The look on Wanda's face was one of concern, one of which Y/N could not care less about. They knew when they stepped out of the car that she was going to act like everything was fine after the argument they'd had just this morning. She wasn't going to stop and they didn't have the mental capacity to even try and argue with her.

Y/N leaned up to whisper to Clint before they all stepped out from the car, "Please don't let her speak to me. I can't deal with her after what happened this morning."

He turned back, concerned. She'd come back into the compound with tears streaming over the ones that had already dried on her cheeks. Clint knew there was a background there, but he didn't ask questions. He'd already heard enough of the shit from their issues with Yelena and Kate. The last thing he wanted to deal with was another woman added in the mix.

As they all stepped out of the car, Kate shielded Y/N from Wanda while Clint spoke with her. She tried sidestepping him, but he grabbed her by the shoulders. "You need to give them space."

Wanda's eyes stripped from Y/N and flew up to Clint, offended. "Excuse me?"

"Don't," he started, already fed up with the emotions, "I'm not doing this with you all and this is not what they need right now. Yelena was taken aback when I tried speaking to her. She was going to give up her mission, going to come and be a part of us."

She scoffed, "Us? She's a fucking black widow assassin, Clint."

His eyes narrowed, knowing that she was just upset and not thinking logically, "So was my best friend. So was your mentor, the person you admired most in this world. What would she think if she heard you talk about another widow like that, let alone her sister?"

Wanda cracked her neck and looked at the ground. She knew that was too far and she shouldn't have said it, but she couldn't help the feelings that were returning for Y/N. They were all she had left. What was she supposed to do? Let them go off with someone who was after their life?

When she left years ago, part of her always felt as though they'd make their way back together. She had to go, but she hoped one day they'd understand. She prayed one day they would trust her enough to fix things.

"And if you care about them," he pulled her attention away from those thoughts that were now spiraling, "you will give them that space. There is too much going on for them right now and adding you in that mix is not fair. Go hang out with Maria while we get things situated for Y/N."

She took one last glance over at Y/N who was resting their head on Kate's shoulder as the two talked with Pepper. Y/N nodded as Pepper stepped in and wrapped them in a hug. She knew that Pepper would take them in and make them feel at home.

Wanda nodded as Clint's hands finally fell from her shoulders. It was time to give up on them. No matter what she did now, it only seemed to push them further and further. Whatever they felt for Yelena was clearly taking over.

Or maybe Kate? She couldn't tell now that she was watching them with her. They'd said there were two women and now she wondered if Kate was the other.

The idea pained her more than she'd imagined. Two women pining after Y/N, two women they were giving their love and attention to, and she wasn't one of them. Not only that, they'd felt the opposite for Wanda now. Even seeing her infuriated them.

Time and space, she thought to herself. Maybe we can be friends... in time.

Over with Pepper, everyone was introducing themselves in quiet tones. Pepper wrapped both Kate and Y/N in individual hugs and told them how welcome they were. Sam and Bucky said their hellos and then led the two inside.

Without realizing, Y/N had grabbed Kate's hand and had been holding tight. She wasn't sure if that meant anything whatsoever, but she couldn't dwell on it. Something massive was happening to them and the least she could do was hold their hand. Thinking anything more than that would just hurt her more, just as not asking for exclusivity had already done.

"Thank you, Pepper. I really appreciate all you guys are doing for me. I mean... you don't even know me," they said, scrunching their face in realization. Why were they doing so much to help Y/N?

Pepper rested her hand on their shoulder, "It doesn't take much to realize someone special when we see it."

They laughed, "I'm only special because of my past with Wanda."

Kate let go of their hand and face them a bit more. That bit hurt her to hear them say, "Don't say that. You're special for much more than that."

They smiled, watching as she let out a breath and relaxed her shoulders. What they would do to be able to move forward with Kate. Things with her would be easy. Okay, maybe she'd withheld information about working with the Avengers, but she didn't accept a mission to murder them.

But every time the thought entered their mind, Yelena followed quickly after. Every single "but" statement they had with Kate ended with Yelena. She had occupied nearly every inch of their brain since the moment they met her.

Y/N and Kate followed as Sam and Bucky led them down to the spare rooms for them to stay in. At least here they would be safe. Clint could keep his promise to Yelena and Kate could be easily accessible to help with trying to find her.

The two entered their own rooms and Y/N flung down on their back on the bed, hands covering their face. God this fucking sucks, they thought. I should probably text Mariah.

Opening up their phone, they noticed it was eerily empty in the notifications area. Maybe it was because they were with Kate and Yelena was off the grid at the moment, but something felt off.

(2:03 am)

Y/N
Hey, just wanted to let you know
I had to take an out of town trip
for work. Just got settled and forgot
to text. I'll be back soon!

Okay great, that's done, they thought just before hearing a knock at their door. "Come in!"

Kate's head popped in. "Just checking in on you. It's been... a day for you, to say the least."

They nodded. A day? The past 24 hours had felt like six years and they felt like this was only the beginning. With Yelena in custody of those who had contracted her, Y/N was in immediate danger. They would do whatever it took to take Y/N out now.

But Yelena, the tears started to fall when they thought about it. What would they do to her? God, would they ever get to see her again? Would they take her out for her lack of strength to take them out?

Kate rushed over to their side, pulling them in close. They didn't want to tell her what they were thinking because they knew it would only hurt her more. Kate cared deeply for them, and Y/N for her, but no one was Yelena.

"I'm sorry, Kate." they cried.

She held them tighter, "Don't be." She knew what they were apologizing for. It wasn't for crying, but for not being able to choose her. The two hadn't been able to finish that conversation earlier, but Kate felt like now was better than ever after she'd calmed down. "I know you care about her and I know you tried for me. Thank you for not telling me and not letting it go any further, but I won't lie and say I'm not hurt."

They nodded as their tears began to slow while laid on her chest, "I really did, Kate. I tried, but as soon as I knew I had to tell you."

"I know... I know, Y/N."

The two laid there, holding each other until they fell asleep. Kate tried her best to take it all in, knowing it wouldn't, couldn't, last forever. They were falling for someone else.

For Yelena.