Part Nineteen. Black Sedan

"I guess you all had a good night, eh?" Brandy's eyebrows wiggled with a terrible suggestion.

Y/N shook their head and pushed her off their desk, "Nothing happened. If it did, I surely wouldn't be here this morning."

They'd left their apartment at the last possible second after millions of kisses later. Yelena had almost gotten them to call off, but they didn't want to start a bad habit so early on. However, they did leave her in their apartment and let her know that she was more than welcome to stay until they got off work.

Yelena
You have no mac & cheese. How do
you live like this?

Y/N
I have so much food? Literally you
have so many options.

Yelena
I didn't say that. I just can't believe
you don't have ANY mac & cheese...
Just surprised.

Y/N smiled as they looked up at Brandy, "Does she have an obsession with mac & cheese or is she just being stupid?"

"Oh no, she loves it. It's probably her favorite meal ever."

"...mac & cheese is not a meal."

Brandy's eyes darted over, "Don't tell her that."

They both laughed before separating back to their own desks. A stark difference was seen in Y/N's demeanor in less than 24 hours. They'd stopped worrying, stopped overthinking. Last night with Yelena had been perfect and honestly made up for what she'd done, in their mind at least.

Before opening their laptop to get into their project for the day, Y/N felt their phone buzz again. Probably Yelena asking more ridiculous food questions.

Kate
I'm so sorry I didn't text you last
night. I got home and passed out
after talking to a friend. Forgive me?

Ah... Kate. They'd put her out of their head as far as they could last night after she left. It was too much to go from worrying about Yelena to immediately worrying about Kate. Y/N needed time to just relax.

But now they wondered. If Kate was starting to act off, and Yelena was starting to give more, was it time to make a decision? Should they let Kate go in order to save her feelings if they grew more? Their eyes glazed over as they stared off past their phone.

If I let her go, and Yelena does the same thing again, I will have ruined something so good for me, they thought. But if I keep her around just in case, I will hate myself the day I have to let her go.

More worries crept back into their head. Gently, but somehow also forcefully, they sat their forehead down on their desk. "God help me," they muttered under their breath.

Y/N
Of course, don't worry about it.
I'm just glad you're safe!

They were thankful that Kate hadn't said much for the rest of the day and Yelena had probably fallen back asleep. They didn't want to be pulled between the two and trying to figure all of this out at work, especially not on a Friday.

The day flew by as they buried their head in their work. This project was due by the following Friday and they were embarrassingly behind due to the two women that had taken over their mind.

Picking up the things from their desk, Y/N noticed a text from an unknown number on their phone. They'd been getting those stupid "hey sxy, wanna chat? ;)" messages nonstop and were growing sick of it. Thankfully, it was just their ex continuing to be just as irritating as she was in their apartment.

unknown
It's Wanda, I am begging you to
just please come stay at the
compound until we can make
sure you're safe. It's nice here!
You'd like it, seriously.

Y/N
How many times do I have to say
no? Or do I need to say it in Sokovian?
How do you say no in Sokovian, Wanda?

unknown
You're stupid, you know that?

Y/N
I've been told once or twice.

unknown
What do I have to do to get you to
believe me and just come here?

Y/N
I can't just leave work, Wanda!
Which, I've been meaning to ask, how
do you all even do what you do? Do you
get paid by the government or Stark?

Y/N could practically feel Wanda's eyes roll at the question, but they'd always wondered. How do Avengers manage to live and not have jobs? Of course being a superhero is hard work but...?

unknown
I'm not answering that. Can you
just at least come to see it? Maybe
then you would change your mind.

Y/N
Oh, don't be so shady. I'll think about it.

A call came through, UNKNOWN blinking brightly on their phone.

"Jesus, Wanda. I was just kidding-"

"Not Wanda. Y/N, we need you here at the compound immediately," a man's voice called back.

Y/N pulled the phone from their head. The voice had completely caught them off guard. Who was this man and why did they have their number? "Excuse me? Who is this?"

The man continued on, "We'll be sending a car to your workplace. Be on the lookout for a black sedan."

"I'm not getting in a sedan when I don't even know who you fucking are?"

He let out a huff, "This is Clint Barton. We need to sit down together and have a serious conversation about what is happening with you."

Remembering that Yelena was at their apartment, they asked, "Can I at least go home first? Get into some more comfortable clothing?"

"No. It's not safe. You'll be getting in the sedan and we will see you soon."

A beep rang through, noting that he'd hung up on Y/N without further discussion. What were they supposed to do now?

Y/N
Is this black sedan safe or am I
working to get killed by the Avengers?

unknown
Are you seriously asking me this?

Y/N
As serious as you are Sokovian.

unknown
Shut up and just get in the car, Y/N.

God, maybe her temper had decreased but it seems that her sense of humor went along with it as well. Maybe I should text Yelena and just let her know, but what was there to say? I'm being tracked by a black widow assassin and the Avengers are taking me in? My ex has been stalking me for years and wants to hang out?

Nothing sounded good and they had no idea when they'd even be home. Truly, they'd rather be going home. Laying in bed with Yelena sounded better than any of this shit.

Y/N
Have to head out to meet a friend across
town and I probably won't be home. It's
an emergency. I'm so sorry. Can I make it
up to you when I get back?

Yelena, still in Y/N's apartment, opened the text. She could read straight through it. Somehow, Y/N knew. Did they know about her? They couldn't... because they wouldn't have texted if so. How do they know though?

Yelena
Of course love. I'll see you soon <3 Be safe.
I hope your friend is okay.

Guess we're both liars, she thought. Good to know.