Part Forty-Four. Blockade

Kate's words were stuck in her throat as he looked at her. There was good news, yes, but it was overshadowed by the way he looked at her. "I..." the words were still stuck.

Stephen took another deep breath, racking his brain for how to explain what he'd seen. "This is absolutely something Wanda found from the darkhold. How she was able to reach that spell so quickly..." he looked down at Y/N who'd been knocked out about an hour ago. "She must've already known it when this happened. She must've already prepared to use it."

"Can you explain what you saw?" She finally found her voice, garnering a small smile from Stephen. He could tell she was anxious and truly, she had every right to be.

He nodded, finally figuring out the best way to explain what Wanda had done. "The spell she used didn't erase Yelena from their memory. What it did was block the ability to reach those memories."

Kate's face softened a bit. She assumed that if Yelena was completely erased from their memory that there was no chance, but this was better. This was okay. 

Unfortunately, he saw how her face brightened a bit and made sure to lead into the rough part of this issue. "The only problem is that it has markings... The Scarlet Witch markings. Meaning that only Wanda herself can remove the block. No one else, not even someone more powerful than her, could remove the blockage."

"We can fix this. I can get her to take it down," Kate's face brightened even more. "I know Wanda isn't really like this. I don't know what she's been using the darkhold for, but it has to have corrupted her mind."

Stephen thought hard and tried to see if there would be a chance of saving Wanda from this path she was heading down. The darkhold had not done too much damage yet. Clint would have warned him if the black finger tips would've began and he hadn't heard anything from him yet.

"So, even though the memories are in there, if I brought Y/N to Yelena then they still wouldn't remember her?"

He sighed, "No. It's a powerful spell because it's the only way to truly have anyone forget something. You cannot erase something from someone's memory the way you can't ever truly destroy something."

Her eyes searched the room, thinking about how Yelena would feel if she found any of this out. Should she tell her? Would it really matter right now or would it just worry her? Would she hate Kate for holding this information?

But she knew if she told her, Yelena would find a way to kill Wanda. Maybe she wasn't as powerful as her, but she was the best Black Widow there ever was. She was stealthy and could easily make her way through Wanda's guard.

"What if she... died? If Wanda died, would the spell hold?" she asked, seeing the immediate terror on his face and quickly making sure to clarify, "I'm only asking because if I tell Yelena and they let her out, she will kill Wanda. I have to know if killing her will erase the spell or just make taking it down impossible."

Stephen thought hard about the question. He wasn't completely sure, but he had known that Wanda had traveled the multiverse before. If she did pass, there could be a possibility of finding her in another universe and having that Wanda release the spell.

And that's when it hit him.

"Has Wanda ever told you about her travels through the multiverse at all?" He asked, wondering what she knew so far of it. From what he understood, only he, Wong, and Wanda were aware of the things that had happened in her travels.

Her face scrunched up in confusion, "No. I've never even heard that word before. Multiverse?"

He nodded, knowing that she'd never want to explain what she had done before. It wasn't as bad as it could've gotten, but it still wasn't something she should've ever done to begin with.

"The multiverse is the collection of many different universes where there are many different realities. There's a reality where you're not an Avenger, a reality where Wanda doesn't have powers, a reality where Yelena wasn't a Widow. There are many different universes," he explained.

Kate's eyes widened as she realized, "So you're saying we could find a Wanda from a separate universe and have her reverse this?"

Stephen rocked his head back and forth as he thought. It had to work, right? Wanda is still Wanda across each universe. If they can find a reality where she is a more understanding, but still very powerful, Scarlet Witch then maybe they would have a chance.

"It's possible. My only other worry would be seeing how our Wanda reacts. If we are unable to talk her down from this, I'm not sure if any of us would be safe near her after trying this," he blew out a deep breath at the mere thought of what Wanda was truly capable of.

She'd only gotten just a taste of what she could do and it was already more than anyone on earth could do. He hated admitting it, but she was even more powerful than him and Wong, stronger than Thor, and easily overpowered Captain Marvel.

If Wanda was able to reach her full abilities, there was nothing that could stop her except herself. He tried weighing the pros and cons, thinking of flipping through all the possibilities as he did before Thanos blipped everyone.

"I think it should work, but I'll handle finding the Wanda we need with Wong and America. I need you to talk with our Wanda. Try and talk her down, figure out what happened with the darkhold, and for the love of everything that is holy keep her away from Yelena and Y/N."

Kate nodded, swallowing a rough gulp as she realized just how much she'd gotten into. She and Wanda were really starting to hit it off but she didn't think that she'd gotten that far with Wanda just yet.

"Got it. I'll head out to find Wanda now. We'll be with Clint, so send him any updates you get on what you find when you get... wherever you're going."