Part Eighteen. Who's Hawkeye

Kate had left and made her way straight to Clint Barton's house after her conversation with Yelena. She would not rest until she figured out what was going on and why.

"I told you to stay out of this," Clint said as he pulled Kate through his front door.

She threw her bag down, shuffling through it. "I can't. I can't stay out of this. I need to get to the bottom of this. Why is Yelena after Y/N?"

"You know why," he responded, rolling his eyes and trying to keep himself composed.

Kate stopped shuffling through her things, "But WHY? They told me they dated Wanda years ago. Why would someone go after them when Wanda had a whole life after?"

Clint hesitated. He wondered why she cared and thought it might upset her if he told her the truth. But she was here, searching for it herself. She'd have to deal with it. "Because Wanda is still in love with Y/N."

Her face dropped hearing those words. Y/N had dated one of the world's most beautiful humans, one that many drooled over and many more feared. She never met Wanda, but she'd heard much about her through the news and social media.

"Is she... does she.." the silence answered Clint's questions.

"You like them, don't you?"

Her eyes blinked hard as she fidgeted. Her nerves got the best of her. "Yeah... I do. They don't know what I do, what we do... I was hoping they'd be an outlet for me before we got into that but now..."

Kate's eyes glossed over as she began tearing up. She really liked Y/N and knew how dangerous Yelena was. And now, on top of all of that, she'd learned that Wanda Maximoff was in love with them.

"I don't think she's trying to get Y/N back, Kate." He responded, trying to bring her out of her thoughts. "From what she told me after she met with them, they don't want anything to do with her. Surprisingly, she said they told her about someone they'd been seeing..."

Her head shot over as her eyes connected with his, "They did?"

The smile that rippled across Clint's face was one of a father. Watching her excitement with them made him smile. She irritated him relentlessly, but he saw her as a daughter as well as his partner. "She told me they were waiting for a certain someone when she left, so I guess they told her about you."

She smiled. Apparently the feelings were reciprocated and she appreciated knowing that. It wasn't a conversation they'd had yet, but she hadn't really worried.

"I really care about them, Clint." Her eyes burned holes in her hands. "I can't let them get hurt."

He sat down next to her, "Then don't. Do what you can for them and near them. Let us deal with Yelena."

She'd gone to Clint's to start a search, a mission, something to save them. But now, as she sat next to Clint, she realized that she should've stayed. It was nearly three in the morning but she was wide awake.

"I'll head back to the city and go see them in the morning," she said as she began gathering her things.

He quickly yanked her back down, "You're not leaving." She was confused, looking around to figure out why he would force her to stay. "You've contacted Yelena now, right?"

She nodded, "Why does that matter?"

"They know about you. She knows about you. She will do anything to finish her mission. I need you to keep you safe too, Kate." She hadn't even thought about that.

"I can handle my own, Clint. You saw me! I'll be okay." She looked up at him, but his face did not falter. "I'll stay for tonight." She resigned.

He tapped the top of her head, "Good. Now, get some sleep. Laura is making a big breakfast in the morning and I want you to stay. The kids have been asking about you nonstop since Christmas."

Kate laughed. She'd found a family with the Barton's. One she didn't have anymore. With her mom behind bars and her father dead, all she knew was this. All she had was this.

And Y/N.

Clint went off to bed after making sure Kate was all set up and comfortable. As she closed her eyes to sleep, all she thought of was them. She replayed the moments they'd shared over and over again.

She thought of the touches shared, the glances stolen. She thought of the jokes told, the gentle kisses. All she wanted to do was keep them safe, no matter the cost.