Part Thirty-Nine. Come On

Her eyebrow quirked up. I love you? she thought. Just as she went to step forward to check on them, a pop sounded just below her feet. Looking down, she watched as the capsule leaked red dust up, engulfing her in it. She wanted to run, but whatever the dust was lifted too quickly.

It took only seconds for her to come out of the trance. She was back, but the first thing her eyes were set on was the tragedy in front of her. Y/N sat in front of her, knife in their upper left abdomen, and eyes shut. Their head was starting to slant to the left a bit and her entire chest heaved up.

"No..." her eyes started brimming with tears but just as she went to jump forward, a large metal arm yanked around her waist, pinching her skin. It would've normally been excruciatingly painful, but all she could focus on was Y/N.

"Absolutely not," Bucky pulled her back, locking his arm in place as the team ushered in to tend to Y/N. Bruce slipped in quickly, checking for a pulse.

Everyone watched as a lump forced down his throat. He shook his head. There was no pulse. "We need to get them down to medbay, now."

Wanda, eyes wide with shock, lifted them lightly with her magic and followed Bruce quickly. She knew if she stayed, Yelena wouldn't live another second and if Y/N made it out alive, they'd never forgive her for that. She looked over their body as they floated down, hoping she'd be able to help with whatever magic she could muster up.

Kate was left with Yelena, standing with her mouth open and her eyes burning. She knew Y/N was falling for her. She knew they didn't choose herself, but it didn't take away the feelings they had. It didn't take away the fact that the thought of losing Y/N, the idea of giving that news to Mariah, the possibility that they might never get the chance with them that she really wanted, was absolutely killing her now.

"Kate..." Clint tried grasping her attention.

"I'm gonna fucking kill her," she started toward Yelena. "I'M GOING TO FUCKING KILL YOU!"

She was now sobbing through her screams, but Yelena's head stayed down. Tears were falling and forming puddles on the ground below her. No one here hated her more than she hated herself.

"You don't get to fucking cry. You did this!" Kate yelled again.

"I didn't do this!" She finally yelled back. "I didn't! That fucking serum did! You know I would've never done this to Y/N!" It was true, and as much as she did hate herself for this, there was no way she could've broken through that serum without the dust.

Clint finally pulled Kate back, yanking her to the other room. Keeping the two of them together would just cause chaos and that was the last thing anyone needed. Right now, all they could do was wait.

Clint reassured Kate over and over that Bruce was the best there is. He wasn't sure what Wanda could do to help, but he knew there must be something. Now that he thought about it, he'd never seen her do any healing work. He hoped that now would be the perfect time for her to realize those capabilities.

"And you know for a fact that the serum is what did this. Yes, it was Yelena's body, but it wasn't her doing," he tried talking sense into her. "She didn't choose this. We both know she would've never chosen this."

She didn't want to admit that he was right. Not now. Kate was upset and she had every right to be, but so was Yelena. Moments ago she'd killed the person she loved most in this world and now had to sit with it. If Bruce was unable to bring them back, she wasn't sure if she'd be able to live through it.

Losing Nat was hard enough, but this was on her hands. How would she ever be able to forgive herself? Even if they did make it through, this serum would've nearly caused her to do the worst possible thing imaginable. She'd spend the rest of her life killing each person involved in putting her up to this.

Nick walked in to check on the team after making sure Bruce and Wanda had everything they needed. Kate was separated from the group and sat with Clint. Yelena was still locked up in Bucky's arm. Sam was tending to Pepper now as she started to wake.

"Damn, you all look rough as hell." They all looked up to see if there might be an update on Y/N. "I don't have any updates. I just got Bruce what he needed and left him to his work. Sam, you can take Pepper down to meet with one of the virtual nurses. Maybe you'll be able to see how it's going."

He nodded, "Yes sir." and headed down with Pepper to get her squared away.

There was nothing left now but to wait. All they could do was hope Bruce would pull them through this, but without a pulse they were unsure what he'd be able to do.

"Bucky, take Ms. Belova down to the holding cells," Nick directed. He nodded, holding tight to Yelena as they walked past. Nick held a hand out in front of them, stopping them just before they walked out, "I know this wasn't you, not really at least. We just need to make sure you're not a threat to us now."

She nodded, "I understand." There was no fighting it. Yelena knew what she had done and even if it wasn't truly her, it was her body, her hands that had finished the job.

Yelena knew that without the serum coursing through her, she was no threat. No matter if Y/N made it or not, she would never step back into that life. A vow made to never murder another person.

Y/N had come along and changed her entire life. She prayed relentlessly that she'd get to tell them she loved them too. If it was the last thing she ever did, she'd make sure it was that.