5: fruit of the posioned tree

Klaus and Elijah were sitting on opposite sides of the large living room while they each read a book. Elijah was studying one of Esther's grimoires, while Klaus was reading through 'A Poison Tree' by William Blake.

Astrid walked in, noticing the dead woman lying on the table with her neck bleeding from the puncture wounds. "Why am I surprised?"

She sat down next to Klaus, closing her eyes as Erik walked into the room with Rebekah, who gaped at her brothers out of incredulity. "So, this is what you do the first time we're back as a family? Vampire book club?"

Klaus kept reading his book while replying to Rebekah. Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?"

"Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus." Elijah responded, continuing to look through the ancient book of spells.

"Of course." Erik said, rolling his eyes. "What I would like to know is...why there is a woman on the table."

"This is a...peace offering." Elijah responded.

Klaus spoke as if his brother was not sitting across from him. "I presumed, that after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish."

Elijah argued dully with annoyance. "And I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behaviour that indicates contrition and personal growth." Klaus rolled his eyes at Elijah, feeling guilty. Elijah paused in his retort before gesturing to the dead woman on the table. "Not this nonsense."

"Well, I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?" Klaus smirked, while Elijah wasn't amused.

"Well, I suppose I'll go fetch the rubbish bin, because she's staining a two-hundred-year-old carpet." Rebekah growled at her family, storming out of the room.

Astrid opened her eyes, looking over at Erik. "Have fun last night?" She joked. His eyes widened, clearing his throat. "How did you know about that? I used a silencing spell."

She laughed. "You've never been good at those." A loud voice hollered his name, calling him. "Coming, dear!" He called back, making his quick way out of the room.

Elijah watched as Astrid groaned, too tired to get up from her seat.

"Astrid, how are you?" He asked her kindly.

"Right now? Starving." She answered, groaning melodramatically as she stood up, walking to the kitchen, one hand on her growing baby bump.

He laughed quietly to himself, shutting the grimoire, wrapping the attached leather strap around the book. "Excuse me."

Astrid searched inside the fridge, picking up a carton of milk, only to find it empty. She picked up a lone pen, using it to write 'milk' on the shopping list that she had started to write a few days prior. "Nik, when a container is empty, maybe don't put it back in the fridge." She called out to Klaus, hearing him scoff at the remark.

She felt the presence of her brother-in-law at the doorway, and she looked over at him with a cocked eyebrow. "Can I help you with something,
Elijah?"

"I do hope my brother has at least been somewhat decent in his family duties since my absence." Elijah replied, expecting to hear that his brother had been failing in that department.

"More than decent, actually. He makes a point to give me everything and anything that I need." She explained how sufficient her husband had been in looking after her. "You are all worrying over me for no reason."

Erik walked through the back door, Rebekah trailing behind him. He discarded a pair of rubber gloves which were tainted red into the trash. "Add bleach to that list, will you?" He asked, walking to clean up Klaus' mess.