9: the casket girls

Astrid was lying down on a couch comfortably in an office in the compound, while Klaus and Marcel spoke about Davina's sudden disappearance.

"You don't have to be a genius to know the obvious." Klaus spoke pointedly to Marcel. "Our secret weapon has escaped."

Astrid rolled her eyes. "First of all, everyone already knew that Marcel was hiding her. Second of all, please speak about Davina as if she was a person, which she is, and not an object."

Marcel seemed to agree with Astrid, but still looked at Klaus in disbelief. "Davina wouldn't have just left. It's dangerous, and she knows that. She knows the witches want her back."

Astrid groaned in annoyance. "Have you thought of the possibility that Davina does not want to spend her time as a sixteen year old cooped up in an attic? She is a very strong witch, and you know that, Marcel."

Elijah walked into the room and the three turned to look at him. "Her violin is missing. She may have left of her own volition."

Marcel walked up to Elijah, blaming him. "Way did you say to her in the attic? She lied to my face so she could stay up there, thinking that you'd help her control her magic. How do we know you didn't take her?" Marcel got even closer to Elijah, getting in his face.

"I have no idea where Davina is, or why she ran away." Elijah told Marcel honestly, before motioning for him to move away. "Can I ask for you to take a step back?"

Astrid shook her head side to side in amusement at the attitude coming from the two.

"Well, I assure you that I have no desire to see that child come into harm's way. She's suffered enough with this ritual nonsense." Elijah crossed his arms as he spoke.

"That child whom you refer to so affectionately is the most powerful witch in New Orleans. If she's fled, what's to stop her from destroying us, in fact, destroying all we've worked for?" Klaus ranted out, expressing his worry about Davina's escape. "No. If she's not a friend to this family, then she is our enemy."

Marcel turned, staring him down. "She is a friend, Klaus." Marcel was clearly very protective of the girl, as if she was his own daughter. It made Astrid smile.

"Well, let's hope so." Klaus remarked. "Lucky for you, I know how to get her back. Follow my lead."

Elijah quickly stopped Marcel. "You know how Niklaus works. If he perceives a threat, he can become merciless. This would not bode well for Davina."

Marcel shook his head. "I'm not going to let anybody lay a finger on her."

Elijah then reassured Marcel that he too, would protect the girl, and allowed Marcel to exit the room. Once he had left, Elijah went over to Astrid and started to express his concern about Davina's safety.

Astrid sighed. "Elijah, I don't know what you want me to do. I am no longer as involved as I used to be in these situations. I'm afraid I cannot help you."

Elijah opened his mouth to speak, but his mouth closed when there was a knock on the doorframe. Both heads turned to find a man with long, black curly hair. Astrid's lips turned upwards into a smile, but Elijah appeared confused.

"If it isn't the notorious serial killer, Sirius Black." Astrid joked, looking him up and down.

Elijah looked warily at the man, and Astrid shook her head. "Don't worry, Elijah. You should go before you get dragged away by Nik."

The Original Brother nodded. "If you need anything, be sure to call Niklaus." He stood up, straightening himself out.

When Astrid was sure Elijah was out of hearing distance, she stood up. "It's been a long time, Padfoot. The last time we saw each other must have been.."