32: the devil is damned

Klaus was on the phone to Elijah, who was still with Cami at the safe house, looking after Hope. As he spoke to his older brother, Klaus stood at the bar, slicing away at limes with a sharp knife. "The wedding works in our favour. Newly-empowered and ruled by Hayley, the wolves will be an asset to our family."

"Yes, assuming you're willing to trust Jackson." Elijah commented in a bitter manner through the phone, making Astrid wince. "I must confess brother; I'm a little surprised to find that you do."

"Well, my faith in Jackson is a means to an end. If I had simply killed him, Hayley would have turned against me." Klaus used the knife in his hand to gesture as he talked. "You should have seen the ferocity with which she defended him. It was impressive." He remarked with a wide smirk and Elijah audibly sighed at the statement. "That said, I don't take the matter of secrets lightly. Once the wedding takes place and the wolves are forever altered, well, Jackson's fate becomes a little less certain." He spoke with a smile and hung up the phone.

As he finished preparing a drink, Klaus noticed Astrid's irritated look. Before he could bring it up, she spoke up with annoyance in her tone. "Did you really have to say that to him? You know this whole wedding is bothering him."

Klaus sighed in understanding, nodding his head in agreement. "I know. I realise that it was insensitive. Unfortunately, it won't just go away. Elijah has to learn to deal with it."

They shared a look with each other before Klaus handed Astrid a drink, smiling at her over the bar. "Try this one."

Astrid took the drink from him and took a closer look at the beverage, purposely to taunt him. This provoked an annoyed expression from Klaus and he moved to take the drink from her, but she pulled it closer to her. "No, wait." She stopped him, her expression turning more serious. "I'll take this seriously, so that you can achieve your life long dream of becoming a bartender." She spoke humorously as she took a sip from the glass, ignoring Klaus' fed up glare.

As she thought over what her opinion was of the alcoholic drink before smacking her lips together. "It is definitely getting better, Nik."

Klaus rolled his eyes and forcefully took the glass from her and scoffed at her words. "You are definitely the fussiest person when it comes to alcohol." He brought the same glass to his lips and finished off the contents of the drink, nodding slowly. "You seem to be right. But, I can make it even better. One day, I'm going to amaze you, my love."

Astrid glanced over at him, and laughed, tapping her fingertips on the counter top. "Well, this entire family amazes me everyday, why not you? Also, it's not 'seem to be right', as I'm mostly always right. You can't deny it."

As he was about to reply, a woman who was unfamiliar to them both strolled into the courtyard, grinning widely at them both. "I see the two of you are up to your normal ways." Klaus looked at the woman with the jet black hair, partly sure of who she was. "I don't suppose you imagined that always and forever would lead us to this?"

Klaus couldn't help but gape at his sister, in an entirely other body than what he was used to. Once he got over his initial shock, he smiled at the sight in front of him. "Rebekah."

Rebekah nodded, her eyes wide. "You would not believe the week I've had." She groaned loudly, and the three of them smiled in relief.

"So, where's Erik?" Rebekah questioned, looking around for any sign of her husband.

"Up here." A voice responded to Rebekah from the balcony, making everyone in the courtyard look up towards the sound that resounded from the voice.

Erik made his way down one of the staircases around him, hugging Rebekah tightly, and she returned the firm embrace almost immediately. "I would kiss you, but since you aren't really yourself, I'm not going to be doing that."