27: chasing the devil's tail

Elijah was still sleeping from Esther's spell, lying on his bed back in the compound. His skin was covered in sweat, his breathing frantic as his muscles spasmed as though it was from fear.

Astrid sat next to the bed Elijah, staring into the space in front of her while Klaus spoke to his brother, hoping to break him out of his slumber. "I know you are locked in battle, however deep in your mind our mother has set the stage. Hear my voice." He called out to his elder brother, who jerked his body again. "Our mother thinks she will win because she has left you alone, but you are not alone. Let me in." Klaus placed one hand on Elijah's head, and the other on his chest, hoping to enter his mind. Elijah suddenly became stiff as if someone shocked him and it looked as if it had pained him.

"Let me help end whatever torment she has forced upon you." Klaus spoke softly to his brother and blood started to drip from the hybrid's nose while flashing images of Elijah's dreams were shown to him. Klaus continued to try and enter his brother's mind, while grunting in pain.

Astrid turned and saw the blood still pouring out of her husband's nose, and her worries grew. "Nik." When she received no response, she stood from her seat. "Nik. Nik, can you hear me?" She was about to step closer when Hayley rushed into the room.

She walked towards Klaus, grasping his shoulder, pulling him away from Elijah, her mouth gaping at him in bewilderment. "What are you doing?"

Klaus was left startled by the swift change of realities as he slowly got his breath back, wiping the excess blood from his nose. "I'm trying to enter Elijah's thoughts to wake him." He responded, gesturing over to Elijah, who was unfortunately continuing to spasm in his slumber. "Esther's locked me out."

Hayley walked over to Elijah, finding a wound on his neck that was shaped like petals on a flower, and gestured over to it. "Is this rash a side effect of the witchy acid trip he's on?"

Klaus frowned at the question and went to investigate the supposed rash on Elijah's neck at his bedside. "I haven't seen this since I was a child. Mikael would return home from battle more blindly temperamental than usual, and our mother would use the petals of a rare merlock orchid to put him to sleep." He explained to her while Astrid scowled at the mention.  "She would mend his mind with a spell, and then wake him with the roots of the same plant." He then turned his body to face Astrid, looking hopeful. "If she has access to it now, then maybe it also grows in the Bayou." He expressed his thoughts out loud, and looked directly at his wife. "Please stay here with him."

Astrid nodded immediately and looked up at him. "If I go back to that Bayou, I don't believe anything will be able to stop me from killing your mother."

"We actually agree on something for a change." Hayley remarked in her own shock, and Astrid side-eyed her, deciding not to retort a response for once.

Klaus shook his head in instant disagreement. "Stay clear of her. I mean it, Hayley. She already got to you once. What would happen if Elijah were to wake and find you a victim of her madness?" He took advantage of Hayley's supposed feelings for Elijah to change her decision.

Hayley rolled her eyes at him and hesitantly gave in. "I won't go after her. I promise."

Klaus was unsure how truthful Hayley was being for a small moment before walking closer to Astrid. "I won't be gone long. Just keep trying to break through, and if you manage to get into his head, be careful." He advised her, giving her a short kiss on the forehead. She nodded at his words, remaining silent. Seeing her change in attitude, he grew worried. "Are you alright, darling?"

Astrid snapped out of her long-lasting silence as of yet, and replied in a neutral tone. "I'm alright. I will talk to you about it when we know that Elijah is back up."