14: farewell to storyville

The Mikaelson remained trapped in the cemetery because of Celeste's spell, and the three siblings still stood at the ready, while Astrid stayed out of the way.

Klaus had the white oak stake while Elijah held Papa Tunde's blade. Klaus' hybrid features were still on show, even now and shouted at his sister. "Rebekah!"

"Walk away." Elijah spoke as he made his way toward him.

"Don't move!" Klaus sneered at him with an evil glare.

"Leave us now." Elijah told Rebekah, still holding eye contact with Klaus.

"I can't. I'm stuck here Elijah, and he was the white oak stake." She responded, fearful of her brother's wrath.

While pointing the indestructible stake in Rebekah's direction, he made his way towards her. "I brought it for you, sister."

"Get out of his sight. Your presence here only serves to anger him. Leave him to me now." Elijah told her, and she immediately sped away from Klaus' eyeline. Elijah then held up the blade that he had stabbed his brother with hours prior. "I'm asking you, brother to brother...that we need this nonsense now."

"You would side with that traitor." Klaus spoke madly, pointing a finger at his elder brother.

"I am not choosing sides, but I will not allow you to hurt our sister." Elijah told Klaus strongly.

"That is choosing a side, Elijah. Think about it." Astrid spoke in boredom, laying on her back.

Klaus held out his hands at either side of his body. "We cannot leave this cemetery, Elijah. How long do you think you can defend her?" After finishing his words, Klaus sped away after Rebekah.

Elijah caught up with him and blocked his way. "As long as it takes, by whatever means necessary."

Elijah stopped Klaus from getting past him, to stop Klaus killing his sister. Hours had passed since they had all been trapped in the cemetery, and the sun was beginning to rise, and neither brother had made a move against each other as of yet. Rebekah has hidden herself somewhere in the entirety of the cemetery and Astrid has grown restless and was now sitting comfortably against one of the crypts.

"You've been at this for hours. To what end? Niklaus, I grew up fighting you. I can't be beaten, nor can I be persuaded. You cannot get past me." Elijah told him, almost prideful.

Astrid scoffed. "Dear Merlin. How arrogant can you get?"

"I could get past you. Although, it might have to be over your dead body. You did stab me with that blade, forcing me to endure hours of unspeakable pain. Perhaps I should direct my rage towards you." Klaus now pointed the stake towards Elijah.

"You should see yourself. The murderous expression, the self-righteous posturing. You look like father." Elijah insulted Klaus the best way he knew how to.

Klaus gaped at Elijah's choice of words, and Astrid was shocked at the way she suddenly sat up, waiting for his reaction. "I'm not him." Klaus said quietly. "Rebekah's betrayal justifies my anger. His was that of madman. You were never the recipient of his cruelty. None of you were; not Kol, not Finn, none of you! I think you've forgotten what he was truly like." Tears were now pooling in Klaus' eyes, threatening to spill over any second.

"No, I have not forgotten." Elijah denied Klaus' claims and was clearly remembering Mikael's acts of abuse towards Klaus when they were children.

Klaus stared at Elijah and rushed away suddenly. Elijah quickly glanced at Astrid who was glaring at him, anger flowing through her veins.

Elijah quickly caught up with Klaus, blocking his way yet again. "Niklaus, I understand your anger, but I implore you, be better than him. Do what we could not; demonstrate the grave of mercy, rather than this petty cruelty."