1.2

Papasok ng school, I made sure I have my guitar with me this time. It's a challenge using the bike with my backpack slung in front of my chest while the guitar is on a bag on my back but I've overcome this challenge many times before. I just gotta make sure hindi na ako magiging tanga for another time.

I was closing the gate to my house when I heard the gate of Shi's house opening. I thought it was him but turns out it's tita Naomi, his Mom.

"Hi, Vasily," she greeted me warmly.

"Good morning po, tita," I said back, taking her hand para mag-mano.

"Papunta ka na sa school?"

"Opo."

"Okay. Let me be quick so you won't be late." She laughed a bit, making me smile. "Do you have some time later?"

I looked at her with furrowed brows. "I can make some time. Bakit po?"

She smiled sweetly. "Actually, it's my birthday today. And I'll have a small dinner party at home later. And I remember I should invite you and your Mom. Nandito ba siya?"

"Ah, she just left yesterday for work abroad," I answered awkwardly. "Happy birthday po."

"Thank you." She squeezed my arm gently, still smiling at me. "Sayang wala Mom mo but you should come."

I nodded. "Opo, I will."

"Thank you."

"Thank you din po for inviting me. Happy birthday po ulit."

That's how I found myself in a department store after school and choir practice. I'm trying to find a gift. I thought a dress would be good but I don't know what fits tita and what suits her. So, I just bought the simplest one in my mind: Candles. I bought the scented ones so it'll be better and not super simple. And I bought half a dozen massive glasses of candles.

I don't give gifts even to my mother who spends most of her birthdays at work so I don't know what to give mothers like tita. I was tested and I discovered that my mind isn't so stupid enough to give something useless and impractical.

I had spare time to get home and dress accordingly for the dinner. I saw from my window na lively na sa kila tita so looks like maraming bisita. I hope my gift will not be the same as anyone else's.

I figured I was overdressed if I wore a suit. It's not my first time attending this kind of event but it's my first time dressing myself. I'm skeptical I'll look weird but I ended up wearing a simple short-sleeved polo and pants. I brushed my curly hair back, unable to style it so I let it fall on my face. I need a haircut one of these days but at least I look neat.

After getting dressed, I picked my gift and went outside, pressing the doorbell to tita's home.